Large Scale Central

Bachmann 3 truck shay g scale

draw bar

Just purchased and received a new 82498 3 truck Bachmann 1:20 shay and found the draw bar is installed backwards as the end with the 2 holes is mounted under the main chassis of the engine, it is mounted in the farthest hole which means that it should run tight turns ok but was wondering if these is a mistake or done on purpose as maybe they were having problems of people running the wrong hole and having problems. Another thing I noticed is that on the main frame end the draw bar has a coiled spring on it that is on the up side of the bar and pushes the bar down, and being as the water car part attaches to it and the post with the screw in it isn’t too long should the spring be on the under side so that it pushes up on the bar instead of down. Any input would be appreciated as I have contacted Bachmann and haven’t heard back from them. Also viewed the DVD and was wonder what every one else uses of lubricants or where to by the Bachmann ones ? Bill

I use Mobile1 synthetic oil and grease on all my railroad equipment HO and G. never have had any problems.

thanks, Bill

Steve Weidner said:

I use Mobile1 synthetic oil and grease on all my railroad equipment HO and G. never have had any problems.

There’s a guy on Amazon selling small bottles of synthetic oil with a needle applicator for model use. I like the small bottle although it’s more expensive than buying a big can!

https://www.amazon.com/Bottle-Liberty-Oil-Synthetic-Lubricating/dp/B075KC512C/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1542822358&sr=8-7&keywords=synthetic+oil+for+models

I use that exact synthetic oil on all my non live steam locomotive’s and car wheels. Works good Especially with the long needle.

Jason

The draw bar on mine is on the same way yours is.

I use the Aero-Car Lubricants Train Pack on my shay. Remove the plugs on the bottom and put a dab of the gel on the gears. For all of the running gear I use the motor bearing lubricant. I have had my shay for 8 years and that stuff has protected it the entire time.

Ditto… I have used the Hob-e-lube greases, the moly grease, and the moly powder, but those 3 lubes above are superior and I use them.

Greg

Bill Barnwell said:

draw bar

Just purchased and received a new 82498 3 truck Bachmann 1:20 shay and found the draw bar is installed backwards as the end with the 2 holes is mounted under the main chassis of the engine, it is mounted in the farthest hole which means that it should run tight turns ok but was wondering if these is a mistake or done on purpose as maybe they were having problems of people running the wrong hole and having problems. Another thing I noticed is that on the main frame end the draw bar has a coiled spring on it that is on the up side of the bar and pushes the bar down, and being as the water car part attaches to it and the post with the screw in it isn’t too long should the spring be on the under side so that it pushes up on the bar instead of down. Any input would be appreciated as I have contacted Bachmann and haven’t heard back from them. Also viewed the DVD and was wonder what every one else uses of lubricants or where to by the Bachmann ones ? Bill

Replying to the questions of draw bar and spring; looking at mine the 2 holes are not under the main chassis and the spring is mounted so that it pushes the bar up.

I would strongly suggest that they have been mounted the wrong way around on your model.

As for lubricant I use either a fine sewing machine oil (Singer brand in Aust) but preferably “WAHL” hair clipper oil.

The latter I found to be especially good to prevent corrosion and conductivity problem on my HO DC layout that was in the high humidity tropics, it seemed to be conductive and a few drops on the tracks overcame track cleaning issues for weeks between applications (a couple of drops on the track and let a train spread it.

Seems like there are quite a few that might have left the factory with the draw bar and spring the wrong way round. Not unheard of with far eastern manufacturers - You should hear the stories about early attemps to decorate EU/US scale model racing cars - pictograms yes, western alphabet no. Time to call the “Bach man” to get a clarification I think.

thanks for the reply, I think they were probably dumbing down for the masses that were too stupid to reengage the proper hole when running on tight radiuses, did find out the spring is installed correctly and I sent a email to Bachmann service almost 2 weeks ago and have heard nothing, still very pleased with the engine, great detail and runs very smooth, Thanks Bill

Most likely the spring is on top pushing down to make sure the draw bar stays free of the wiring. On the water tender I put a washer between the screw head and the draw bar so it can’t pull thru and disconnect the tender. That did happen a couple of times to me with some track a guy had to much ballast on.

My shay is prior to the DCC version, so they have been flip flopping this for a very long time. That is nothing compared to the freedom they had when wiring the loco.

thanks Criss