Large Scale Central

Finally there.

I now have all the roadbed down for the main loop of the rail road. I have to buy a few more bags of small gravel to do a little leveling, but I’ll be running trains this weekend. Now comes the landscaping, which my wife is really getting interested in.

Looking good, are you getting the gravel from Lowes or Home Depot? is it , well for lack if my mind working , not pea gravel so broken so it will hold together better than round pebbles?

Nice work Dan, good roadwork…running trains will be a lot of fun!

is this track before or behind the bone-gate?

Pete Lassen said:

Looking good, are you getting the gravel from Lowes or Home Depot? is it , well for lack if my mind working , not pea gravel so broken so it will hold together better than round pebbles?

It’s called general purpose gravel from Home Depot. It’s small rough pieces.

Korm Kormsen said:

is this track before or behind the bone-gate?

It’s on the other side of the hill.

That gravel will travel, for ballast you’ll have better luck with crushed or broken rock.

Landscaper supply where you can buy rock in bulk is more likely to carry what you want.

I wasted money trying to make it work. I settled for a coarse sand I mine from my land, run off grades it by size. I get it free, except my labor, a lot, so I use it. If I was shooting for doing it once with touch ups I’d buy the crusher fines (that name varies by location).

And we now bring you today’s random railway ballast trivia. 7 pages.

11th International Conference Interdisciplinarity in Engineering, INTER
-ENG 2017, 5-6 October 2017, Tirgu-Mures, Romania

Ballast bed cleaning and recycling – influence on stability of continuously welded rail track

Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, 28 Memorandumului Street, 400114, Cluj-Napoca, Romania

https://ac.els-cdn.com/S2351978918303391/1-s2.0-S2351978918303391-main.pdf?_tid=15c823cc-dbbb-49a6-9fe5-9cc915346d38&acdnat=1540578924_e9be74e390c24ad93bf665f6b81c5bf8