Large Scale Central

pictures on posts question

I finally got a photo resizer program (FastStone), so now I need to replace all the photos in my freight shed with ones that are properly sized to go into a post. If I delete the old large pics, do I have to go through the individual posts to replace the pictures by editing each one? Thanks for the help.

Pete,

LSC has a built in re-sizer just before you post your pic in the freight shed.

Pictures of the correct size will actually load faster than larger pictures resized.

Also, clearly smaller pictures will take less storage space.

So, I’m guessing Pete may be using one or both of these reasons.

The answer is Pete, if you leave the picture name the same, the pictures will refresh the next time you look at that post.

Regards, Greg

Pete Lassen said:

I finally got a photo resizer program (FastStone), so now I need to replace all the photos in my freight shed with ones that are properly sized to go into a post. If I delete the old large pics, do I have to go through the individual posts to replace the pictures by editing each one? Thanks for the help.

As Greg said, no you don’t as long as you keep the exact same name. I lost a whole folder, but when I recreated it and reloaded the photos it all worked.

right on both accounts Greg. When I go looking for information on some of the older posts, it is sometimes hard to figure out what they are explaining or trying to show when you either get the cat saying its no longer available or the x and no pictures, so I want to make sure they are back in their proper spots.

More likely to find missing pics from the P-buckets self destruct.

Pete after you resize, you’ll need to save in a different folder or you’ll end up with name conflicts.

I usually add an ‘l’, (for little) and a ‘b’ when upsizing, at the end of the name, keeps them grouped alphabetically. I’m already in the habit of resizing when I choose the pics to upload. I was taught photo bracketing years ago, with digital ‘film’ there’s no reason not to. Sometimes it doesn’t take much of an angle change to make the shot. Like the adage that pics reveal defects we overlook, having more samples makes it easier to moderate what I reveal …

John, for storage on your computer I would agree with you. But Pete wants the photos to properly populate existing threads. So the name has to be the same, exactly the same, in the same folder of the freight shed, as the picture it replaced.

Oh yes, I try and bracket my pictures if I can, and with digital pictures its a lot less expensive then it was back in the days of film. But, we also now have the ability to adjust and correct our pictures without having to be an expert in the darkroom (shut up Rooster).

Yeah, I realized that, but didn’t have time to edit and now you’ve locked it, so it sits.

me said; “Pete after you resize, you’ll need to save in a different folder or you’ll end up with name conflicts.” on your pc (then he would be good to go).

Delete the rest…

I didn’t mean settings a much as angle and field, unless of course you have a 360 cam …one from above one from below, to the left or right, that kind of thing…

Oakie doakie?

Another option not stated is “set your camera to the tolerances allowed by the Freight Shed” then just upload them. Do you really need full size and if so what will you do with them? I personally like to shoot RAW at times (Shut up Maynard) but it’s only so I can zoom in on the …never mind.

I shoot in high resolution, so after cropping, I still have plenty of resolution, and then resize to fit.

If you shot at exactly 800x600 or thereabouts you would want to get the photo perfect the first time. I’m not good enough for that.

But I’m no Rooster.

Greg

Even at the lowest setting on my camera, the picture is still too large. But, like Greg said, that gives me room to crop, and then resize to 800 pixels wide.