Large Scale Central

Operation of USAT SD70s with Intermodals

USA Trains SD70s operating with Intermodal cars on layout.

I know some folks may have had derailing issues operating the SD70s with Intermodal cars on their layout curves. To my recollection all the train cars, including the Intermodal cars, had truck mount couplers.

I want to share my experience with a similar train having all body mount Kadee centerset type couplers installed.

I set up a 31 car test train that includes 4 USA Trains Intermodal individual cars (I don’t have an articulated set yet). Again, the locos and all cars have body mounted Kadee centerset couplers.

There is play list hosted for me by Greg E on his YouTube site that includes 3 videos I recorded, each having a detailed text description below the video that can be read before or after a video is run.

Video 1 shows the Intermodal cars coupled to 2 back to back SD70s operating OK on a tight 10 foot diameter 270 degree loopback on my underhouse layout. The Intermodals have only one container in them for clearance reasons.

Video 2 shows the test train with double stacked containers on the Intermodal cars coupled to the locos on the outdoor layout with 2 SD70s & 1 SD40-2 needed to pull the train up helix grade. This video is long, so I suggest looking at least the beginning showing the train ascending the helix and near the end showing the train Intermodals rounding the viaduct 10 foot diameter curves.

Video 3 shows the test train coming down the helix grade, though the Intermodal cars are on the back of the train.

The YouTube Play List is at link:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2UTR0ZFhGsGKcB0cIb0nsD5IGyNoTMuY

The illustration below summarizes what’s done to the SD70s being fitted with body mount, 3-D printed swinging coupler boxes and other components that afford more pleasing prototypical aesthetics.

USA Trains SD70 with CamPac 3-D printed components

The illustration below summarizes what’s done to improve the Intermodal cars performance with prototypical aesthetics.

USA Trains Intermodal Car Modifications

-Ted