Forums General Other Hobbies
  • Topic: Pics of Sunday night's Space X launch

    Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 9, 2018 2:34 AM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        4,938
      • Thanks
        326
      • Thanked
        217

      Pics of Sunday night's Space X launch

      Here are some photos I took of last night's Space X launch. These were taken from a small park around the block from our house:


      .

    • October 9, 2018 2:42 AM EDT
      • Missouri
         
      • Posts
        2,313
      • Thanks
        140
      • Thanked
        176

      Those are cool!

    • October 9, 2018 2:48 AM EDT
      • Kailua, HI
         
      • Posts
        212
      • Thanks
        70
      • Thanked
        78

      FAN-TAS-TIC!!!

    • October 9, 2018 9:06 AM EDT
      • Saint Johns, Florida
         
      • Posts
        3,823
      • Thanks
        251
      • Thanked
        347

      Neat!

      ____________________________________

       

       

    • October 9, 2018 9:49 AM EDT
      • West Grove, Pennsylvania
         
      • Posts
        10,364
      • Thanks
        306
      • Thanked
        426

      I managed to catch one down in Florida one time. Standing on the loading dock in Plant City while my truck was being unloaded we noticed a white streak on the eastern horizon. Wasn't quite as dramatic or as colorful as this one though. Kewl!

      ____________________________________

      "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --Martin Luther King Jr

    • October 9, 2018 11:28 AM EDT
      • Peoria, NW of Phoenix, Arizona
         
      • Posts
        1,035
      • Thanks
        144
      • Thanked
        129

      years ago I was in Santa Maria, about 10-15 miles from Vandenberg AFB when they sent a large missle up, quite the experience, well before cell phones and digital cameras

      This post was edited by Pete Lassen at October 9, 2018 11:30 AM EDT
      ____________________________________

       

      Butt Modeler #2

       

       

    • October 9, 2018 2:10 PM EDT
      • Santa Ana, CA
         
      • Posts
        1,490
      • Thanks
        1
      • Thanked
        85

      I watched it from initial launch to the touch down of the two booster rockets from the hills of North Tustin area (much closer).

       

      I could clearly see the the launch from just after blast-off and the firey tail was clearly visible.  After the first stage separation, there is a pause and the release of the gases catching the suns rays in the upper atmosphere is what you see in the pics.    After the separation, you can see the plumes from the boosters as they re-orient themselves for re-entry.  The second stage moves on and at about 7 minutes I looked back toward Vandenburg and could clearly see what looked like two red/orange flares re-entering for touch-down.

       

      Here is a video someone took but their vantage point wasn't as good as mine and they missded the re-enty.  My vantage point was about like their zoomed-in and there was far more luster and color to the vapor plume.

       

      Vandenburg describes the whole thing.

       

    • October 9, 2018 8:34 PM EDT
      • Defending the State of Exile! ,
         
      • Posts
        12,722
      • Thanks
        1,002
      • Thanked
        712

      "Your pics" or you really didn't happen Todd!

    • October 9, 2018 8:37 PM EDT
      • Defending the State of Exile! ,
         
      • Posts
        12,722
      • Thanks
        1,002
      • Thanked
        712

      " Rooster " said:

      "Your pics" or it really didn't happen Todd!

      This post has been edited by ROOSTER :  west coast time is different than east coast time

    • October 9, 2018 8:48 PM EDT
      • Santa Ana, CA
         
      • Posts
        1,490
      • Thanks
        1
      • Thanked
        85

      Then I guess it never really happened and this is just another hoax..., like landing a man on the moon. 

    • October 10, 2018 11:50 AM EDT
      • Vail, Az
         
      • Posts
        4,121
      • Thanks
        483
      • Thanked
        492

      Todd Brody said:

      Then I guess it never really happened and this is just another hoax..., like landing a man on the moon. 

      Nothing so sinister, your pics didn't show up, are they http or https?

      This post was edited by John Caughey at October 10, 2018 11:50 AM EDT
      ____________________________________

      John

       

      The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

       

       

    • October 10, 2018 2:29 PM EDT
      • Santa Ana, CA
         
      • Posts
        1,490
      • Thanks
        1
      • Thanked
        85

      They are nonexistent, and hence, it never happened.

      This post was edited by Todd Brody at October 10, 2018 2:30 PM EDT
    • October 10, 2018 5:26 PM EDT
      • Denver, Colorado
         
      • Posts
        1,782
      • Thanks
        164
      • Thanked
        259

      Todd Brody said:

      ....like landing a man on the moon. 

       

         WHUT? Seriously? Did I miss something?

       

      ____________________________________

    • October 10, 2018 6:39 PM EDT
      • Vail, Az
         
      • Posts
        4,121
      • Thanks
        483
      • Thanked
        492

      John Passaro said:
      Todd Brody said:

      ....like landing a man on the moon. 

       

         WHUT? Seriously? Did I miss something?

       

      No he's on the back side, so, there's nothing to see.

      ____________________________________

      John

       

      The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

       

       

    • October 10, 2018 10:21 PM EDT
      • Denver, Colorado
         
      • Posts
        1,782
      • Thanks
        164
      • Thanked
        259

      John Caughey said:
      John Passaro said:
      Todd Brody said:

      ....like landing a man on the moon. 

       

         WHUT? Seriously? Did I miss something?

       

      No he's on the back side, so, there's nothing to see.

       

      Whew...that's good news. I haven't turned on the television set in years. I'm waiting for them to come out with color.

       

      ____________________________________

    • October 10, 2018 11:32 PM EDT
      • Vail, Az
         
      • Posts
        4,121
      • Thanks
        483
      • Thanked
        492

      John Passaro said:
      John Caughey said:
      John Passaro said:
      Todd Brody said:

      ....like landing a man on the moon. 

       

         WHUT? Seriously? Did I miss something?

       

      No he's on the back side, so, there's nothing to see.

       

      Whew...that's good news. I haven't turned on the television set in years. I'm waiting for them to come out with color.

       

      Shouldn't be long, my areo-car is being delivered tomorrow!

      ____________________________________

      John

       

      The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

       

       

    • October 11, 2018 9:09 AM EDT
      • Saint Johns, Florida
         
      • Posts
        3,823
      • Thanks
        251
      • Thanked
        347

      Todd Brody said:

      I watched it from initial launch to the touch down of the two booster rockets from the hills of North Tustin area (much closer).

       

      I could clearly see the the launch from just after blast-off and the firey tail was clearly visible.  After the first stage separation, there is a pause and the release of the gases catching the suns rays in the upper atmosphere is what you see in the pics.    After the separation, you can see the plumes from the boosters as they re-orient themselves for re-entry.  The second stage moves on and at about 7 minutes I looked back toward Vandenburg and could clearly see what looked like two red/orange flares re-entering for touch-down.

       

      Here is a video someone took but their vantage point wasn't as good as mine and they missded the re-enty.  My vantage point was about like their zoomed-in and there was far more luster and color to the vapor plume.

       

      Vandenburg describes the whole thing.

       

       

      ____________________________________

       

       

    • October 11, 2018 9:14 AM EDT
      • Saint Johns, Florida
         
      • Posts
        3,823
      • Thanks
        251
      • Thanked
        347

      So I guess it really did happen!

      ____________________________________

       

       

Forums General Other Hobbies

    Icon Legend

  • Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google