Large Scale Central

New power source

Track power, battery or Hydrogen!

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/germany-s-new-hydrogen-powered-trains-point-way-sustainable-rail-ncna912086

I can hardly wait for the track photo equivalents of:

:slight_smile:

Not that it’s not a clean and efficient energy source… And gasoline could never pass any reasonable safely evaluation these days if we weren’t already addicted to it…

Oh the humanity!

I’m not sure this is anywhere near as efficient as running electric trains off the overhead wires or 3rd rails. You need electricity to make hydrogen and there are significant losses…It’s like charging a battery.

That said it would be pretty cool for a rural train that would normally be diesel powered to be able to enter an urban area without changing power. That and the infrastructure for electric trains tend to be unsightly and expensive.

Lets see, H and O2, under pressure…at there is rocket fuel.

So yea, a locomotive, tanked up on rocket fuel, coming off the rails at 87 MPH, could make a very messy crash scene.

What SPF should the driver use just in case?

How efficient is the Mag Lev ?

Never met the guy

David:

I think they will be using the oxygen from the ambient air and not pressurized O2 - Fuel Cells

Ok, so no pressurized O2. Just a simple hydrogen tank (bomb) waiting for detonation in a crash. Yup, that’s better.