Large Scale Central

Aristo dash 9 front cab handrail?

Hi everyone, I need to open up my Aristo dash 9 and i’m having a lot of trouble getting the hand rail that connects the front of the cab to the base of the steps removed . I’ve read you must pull it from the bottom at the steps as pulling from the top will break it. I’ve got it out about 3mm out, but i’m really starting to damage the hand rail trying to get the last little bit. anyone have a better way to pull the rail off?

Thanks, Dave

I have no experience with aristo only USA and some LGB but assuming they are pushed into a drilled hole which are painted and slid into place from the factory. Working them in and out with a lubricant (silicone spray is my choice) “patiently” usually does the trick. Push back in a few times to release the the paint and work back out. However I could be ALL wrong as I have NO experience with this locomotive.

When my blood boils; I’m quick to slice off the last bit, willing to rely on glue during reassembly.

John Caughey said:

When my blood boils; I’m quick to slice off the last bit, willing to rely on glue during reassembly.

Sorry to boil your blood …only trying to help and “bump my post count” as “post count is important” not what information which is offered within the post.

" Rooster " said:

John Caughey said:

Sorry to boil your blood …only trying to help and “bump my post count” as “post count is important” not what information which is offered within the post.

I didn’t think you did, beginning to ‘mark up’ the item does ‘it’ for me.

Please be sure to answer this waste of space, maybe twice, I’m concerned about your lowly count, you could slip away with out notice.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

they care

well post count aside good suggestions. Sadly Rooster it was so tight i couldn’t push it back in so no dice on that but i got enough out to cut and still replace. Sadly the other side broke off flush to the engine. What a crappy design 90% chance of messing up your engine if you need to replace a light bulb or LED. So in the end need to bend and paint some new hand rails. And try to see how to remove the upper side of the rail. Sucks engine cost me $1200 the going rate for the UP flag .

$1200 for a UP -9 For that price I’d sell ya both of mine for $2400. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)Later RJD

Btw I usually use a flat screw driver to wedge between body step and hand rail and twist the screw driver so flat starts to rotate and starts prying up hand rail out of step. Later RJD

See the source imageYou need one of these…

Talked to Dave, my guess is that the handrail paint was not completely cured, so pretty much welded into the hold.

I know Dave, he is very competent mechanically so this is not a case of not understanding how to use a screwdriver.

I’ve seen this before, and often putting in new handrails can require removing the paint or opening the hole a bit first.

Greg