Large Scale Central

New Roundhouse Basic Series engine announced

At the garden railway show this weekend at the W&L light railway in Wales, Roundhouse announced a new Basic series engine, an nice little 0-4-2 with tender. I see loads of potential for those into logging and mining to weather and customize this model. Lots of engine for the price, and with the logistical back up that is second to none. I plan to order one in the Oxford blue to match my Bertie, along with thier Walschearts valve gear kit(which I put on a Sammie a few years ago). With all the upgrades installed, these Basic Series engines are better outfitted than the older Classic Range models other than the slip eccentric valve gear.

Mike, what’s the " Walschearts valve gear kit" you refer to? The ‘loco enhancements’ page has a kit of “Slide bar, cast crosshead, combination lever and union link set for ‘basic series’ locomotives.” which looks a bit like Walschaerts. Is that it?

There is a Walschaerts valve gear kit as part of thier home builder series of parts. Gives you all the parts that would come in a kit engine for the valve gear. You do NOT get the fancy combination lever and crosshead as that is another upgrade part. You do get both long and short eccentric rods, as are used on 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 wheelbase Roundhouse models. I used a second part of their “penguin” brackets as a mounting bracket for the expansion rocker link shaft. Someone that can fabricate better than I in metal could make those on thier own from brass. It was easier for me to just purchase 2 extra ones. Worked well when I built my Sammie. Here is a pic of the chassis while under going the conversion.

The cross shaft for the lift links is curved that comes in the kit, which does not work if someone does this to Bertie, Sammie or the new Jennie. I replaced that shaft with straight rod in the same diameter that I got at Lowes Home Center. I put the reverse quadrant behind the fuel tank in the cab, its a really tight fit. The reach rod passes between the fuel tank and the boiler. I did have to retime the engine after doing the conversion. The original owner of this model was using sand on the rails for traction, which got into the slip eccentrics and caused lots of wear. She was timed to run well in forward but poor in reverse, I just had to do some adjustments in the valve chests to square up the timing. I will have this engine back in my stable shortly. I sold it but am buying it back in the next couple weeks, depending how quickly I finish my fund raising. I am about 3/4 of the way there. I plan to buy one of the new Jennies next year.

Thought you were going ride-on.

Oh I have that size to, but not giving up on G completely. I did downsize some though. Had lots of pieces that i did not run any more. Mike the Aspie

Hmmmm I’m not sure I’m sold on this one. I really wish they would produce something more US based like the Sammie. I’d probably just get another Sammie and modify that.

I wish they would do a 0-6-0 version of Sammie, that would look really good