Large Scale Central

Battery Indicator and clips

I was poking around my favorite shopping site, Aliexpress.com, when I found this little device:

For $1.59 it comes in a case and is set to show at a glance the voltage of your 4S (4 cell) Li-Ion battery.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1S-2S-3S-4S-6S-7S-Lithium-Battery-Capacity-Indicator-Module-Blue-Green-Display-4-2V/32793725348.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3da24c4diMoO46

(I also found some clip-type connectors, which are extremely useful for testing stuff like this, as shown. $1.71 for 5. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-2pin-spring-Connector-wire-conneting-Easy-to-install-no-need-soldering-5pcs-lot/32354250776.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.19cc4c4dmTIJLX)

I was originally thinking I’d have one on the loco so I bought a couple, but of course, the obvious thing is to plug it in to the charge socket on the loco!

I also found another that only displays when you press the button. $1.73: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2S-3S-4S-5S-6S-8-4V-12-6V-16-8V-21V-24V-12V-Lithium-Battery/32825604626.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3da24c4diMoO46.

We will see if they really work - I can’t believe that loco was still fully charged, but maybe . .

Pete,

I am not an electrical engineer by any stretch, but this device is effectively reading the battery level at no load, given how we wire our locos to charging circuit vs. running circuit, which is not a good indicator in my book. need a way to look at battery strength when under load to get a good idea as to remaining life IMHO.

Al P.

While the open circuit voltage tells you a little about the battery, Al is right, although you could measure the voltage while under load with these gadgets.

Greg

Or you could use an Expanded Scale Voltmeter, which depending on said meters specification puts a .2-2.0A load on the battery under test via the charge port. Been using these for years to validate battery condition for RC Aircraft flight control batteries. While very common, Voltage in of itself is a POOR indicator for indicating battery capacity for several reasons. Many moons ago when the Lithium-Ion 18650 cells were first introduced we adapted the technology to Flight Power Systems for Giant Scale RC Aircraft, typically two 7.2V 2S2P batteries were used in pairs. I was able to identify over time several cell/battery failures that would have gone unnoticed had I relied on the static voltage readings. Under test; adding a load to a suspect battery would cause the displayed static voltage reading to fall to zero and or a blank screen. Generally as I allude to here often, if a single battery fails in your series assembled battery, said battery is nearly useless.

Series-Parallel configured battery packs are common with Lithium-Ion batteries rated in the 4000mAh plus range. These batteries are comprised of multiple cells connected in series to achieve the desired voltage as one battery. Four 2200mAh cells in series = 3.6V x 4 = 14.4V or a 2200mAh 14.4V battery. Two of the aforementioned 4-cell 2200 mAh batteries wired in parallel and wrapped together creates a 4S2P 14.4V, 4400mAh battery. Inevitably when a single cell fails of either battery in parallel, static voltage will leave you with a warm fuzzy feeling only… Fortunately our train batteries don’t power critical flight systems, so operators tend to abuse said batteries. Typically abuse is realized of improper charge regimens, miss-information, inadequate knowledge of the cell technology, excessive heat, improper storage techniques and lastly running the batteries down to voltage cut-out specification, stopping your engine on the track. OEM cell manufacturers don’t recommend these deep discharge runs at any time.

Lots of information is now commonplace on the web for Lithium-Ion cells, such as OEM cell specifications and sites like Battery University and more.

Michael

So what you are suggesting is that I should mount them in the loco and watch them while it is running? They are designed to be circuit-board or panel mounted anyway, and not very large, and that was the original intent. I also bought a bunch of connector strips to make it easier to reconfigure these locos while I play with the batteries, etc. so that will make it simple.

Not sure about the big display in a victorian loco window!

Hi Pete, I have been using a small motorcycle LED voltage battery indicator for years. It displays the actual voltage. I add a 24" cable with a 2.5MM plug. Some of the guys have bought them from me.

When you plug it into the charge jack wiring harness we use you get a reading of the loco battery. I find this close enough to say I got 1 hour or three hours more running time. To get the exact under load voltage the RailPro system has a built in monitor to display the actual voltage while running your train.

Sorry I cannot figure out how to post photos.

Don

Greg Elmassian said:

While the open circuit voltage tells you a little about the battery, Al is right, although you could measure the voltage while under load with these gadgets.

I took the module to Jerry’s SC&MRR and ran it in the roof of my tram loco. This photo was taken as it ran past. You can just see that it is showing 3 bars.

Here’s a pic of what Don’s talking about, connected to my C-19.

It’s plugged into the charging jack.

That’s what I need!!!

I left it plugged in overnite and it was reading 14.4V this morning.

Ric Golding said:

That’s what I need!!!

Maybe. Check the comments about reading it while the loco is running. P.S. Mine sticks out too far from my side-mount chaerging socket and clobbers various plants and Jerry’s bridge.

Talked to Don and one will be there by the time we get home. :wink:

Always appreciate good service.

I got one from Don, a year or 2 ago… :slight_smile: