Large Scale Central

Curved Diverging Turnouts vs Straight

I am working on my inner loop of main line track and I want a set of crossover tracks to get trains to and fro, are there any big advantages/disadvantages to using LGB R5 turnouts with curved diverging tracks compared to a USA #6? Complicating this somewhat I want to keep the track fairly close together and not have to have a large “deadspace” between them. The are in question is on the left side at the 25 to 30’ marks on the diagram

Ignore the siding switch going off to the right on the lower crossover

I am thinking that the cars will be negotiating a “S” curve to get from main line #1 to main line #2 and will cause derailments. Will the R5 curves be gentle enough to not cause much drama? what have others done in this case.

I will be using manual throws , so was not looking at the USA #6, but if it would be the best way to go then I will. Most of my other switches will be either LGB or Piko, so far they seem to be fairly equal in quality. for some reason I am not sure if I am explaining my concern well so hit me up for clarifications. Thanks

Running large modern equipment? Use the #6, smaller locos are ok on the curved switches. Since you are not using sectional track, you don’t need to use the curved to keep the symmetry.

The 6 will take more space. You might want to print out the switches to see how much space they eat…

I agree…

Oh yeah for the most part it SHOULD be 40 to 50ft cars, I do have a couple of intermodal container well cars but those will be longest cars in the fleet, I don’t anticipate getting big 6 axle locos for the same reason, 10’ curves

The LGB switch is a #5 frog, the USAT #6 is a #6 frog.

I’d go the “gentler” frog, the USAT.

Also the frog on the USAT switch is all metal.

Greg

Using a higher number frog is always better.

Using the Peco curved turnout would be even better.

There are a lot of curved turnouts on the SJR&P all are hand built.

They provide significant space savings and smooth operation.

Stan

Stan

Peco or Piko?

Tom

Has to be Piko, Peco would not mach up.

Todd, by definition, a crossover creates an S curve.

This is #6 Aristo’s with about 9.5" track spacing:

Thanks Greg that is what I was looking for, that picture explains a lot and the straight section between the 2 switches looks long enough to not be a worry with longer cars negotiating 2 opposite curves at the same time.

I think that straight is about 6.25 inches, but the length of the diverging sections of the USAT #6 may be different.

But I think the important point is that with normal track spacing, a crossover will be nice and gentle with the #6.

I have no issue with 80 foot passenger cars at prototype speeds on these crossovers, I have them in about 3 locations.

Greg