Large Scale Central

Building an Interurban

I was thinking of kit bashing a Bachmann combine into an interurban trolley. What would be suitable power trucks to use ?

I’d start with a prototype that gives you a basic design. USA power trucks work well, but for a single axle - HLW has an excellent power axle with a vertical motor mounted to a differential. Lots of examples out there, the research is half the fun.

Thanks Ric. The power trucks will be the more desirable as I want two four wheel trucks under the combine.

Dan Padova said:

I was thinking of kit bashing a Bachmann combine into an interurban trolley. What would be suitable power trucks to use ?

Light Rail Products had a set of resin pieces for doing just that. Duckbill roof, resin ends. I wonder if they are still around.

http://www.lightrailproducts.com/index.html

Pete Thornton said:

Dan Padova said:

Light Rail Products had a set of resin pieces for doing just that. Duckbill roof, resin ends. I wonder if they are still around.

http://www.lightrailproducts.com/index.html

Just checked. Their site comes up. I sent them an inquiry. We’ll see if they respond.

Dan Padova said:

Thanks Ric. The power trucks will be the more desirable as I want two four wheel trucks under the combine.

Dan,

I know you want to build this, however you might want to look at an HLW Rail Motor Car. It is almost exactly what you want with 2 powered trucks. I have one and it is one of my best units. Radio Control and batteries fit inside and its a real puller.

http://www.h-l-w.com/rail-motor-car.html

If nothing else, it will give you a great example to follow.

That sounds like a good idea for a custom build Dan.

I have watched the prices on doodlebugs and RDC’s go up and up and I’m thinking why not build one… someday…

Do keep us posted on your progress.

Ric Golding said:

Dan Padova said:

Dan,

I know you want to build this, however you might want to look at an HLW Rail Motor Car. It is almost exactly what you want with 2 powered trucks. I have one and it is one of my best units. Radio Control and batteries fit inside and its a real puller.

Ric, thanks for the link. I had remembered that car. I must say their ad copy gave me a chuckle… ‘could be 1/5 the cost of a steam locomotive.’ The list price is the same as I paid for an HLW Jupiter 10 years ago! Oh the irony.

Just checked. Their site comes up. I sent them an inquiry. We’ll see if they respond.

I suspect they won’t. I think I went around this loop a year or so ago. I last had contact in 2010, about their duckbill roof casting. At that time the email was [email protected]. There is a different phone number on the PDF catalog: 650-355-4815…2:00pm – 9:00 pm PST

Ric Golding said:

USA power trucks work well

Ric Golding said:

Dan Padova said:

Dan,

On Hartlands site, the interurbans are described with a single powered truck.

Dan Padova said:

Ric Golding said:

Dan Padova said:

On Hartlands site, the interurbans are described with a single powered truck

They do have a single power truck - why would you need 2? The other truck is a matching type. My pal Jack has one with a Raspberry Pi processor in it, plus sundry batteries, sounds, etc., and it runs around his layout stopping and starting whereever he put the triggers. Neat little beast.

Pete Thornton said:

Dan Padova said:

Ric Golding said:

Dan Padova said:

On Hartlands site, the interurbans are described with a single powered truck

They do have a single power truck - why would you need 2? The other truck is a matching type. My pal Jack has one with a Raspberry Pi processor in it, plus sundry batteries, sounds, etc., and it runs around his layout stopping and starting whereever he put the triggers. Neat little beast.

In my experience, two powered trucks operate better than one powered truck. At least on my railway. Not that I need traction power to pull anything but the interurban itself. It just seems to run smoother. You might say, what about locos with only four wheels powered. Well, they are short, like Stainzes and don’t have any issues with curves. On longer locos, the second powered truck helps, both on curved track and grades.