Large Scale Central

Getting a little close

The Taylor Creek Fire, the northern most fire of a four fire complex that has burnt about 26-27 thousand acres since Sunday. There are about a 5-6 other fires of comparable size burning farther to the south. All these fires, caused by lightening strikes in last Sundays thunder storm, are only about half of the fires burning in Southern Oregon right now.

The picture is taken from the front yard looking West, the fire is about 5-6 miles away, hard to tell for certain because of the mountains. The small smokes to the left of the picture are back fires set by the crews to use up fuel ahead of the main fire in an attempt to slow it down.

Rick

Be smart and stay safe Rick …wishing the best for you and the others! If I could have shared the torrential rains we just had on the east coast I would.

Man that’s rough, I dread this time of year.

Down here we’ve been in a drought for years.

After a week on the Dallas divide,

I was happy to see my rooftop as I rounded the bend yesterday.

I wish you the best.

Thanks Guys, we are save enough for now but lots of others are not.

Big fire broke out in Northern Calif on Monday afternoon and my BiL did some filming from the ridge above Whiskeytown Lake, he is the one that did the videos of my railroad in years past, the fire is now over 28K acres and growing fast. Lots and lots of people being evacuated including my BiL, he doesn’t know the status of his home at this time.

If you have never seen or been involved with wild land fire here is the video he shot the day before he had to evacuate.

Rick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNNJ8WV-iGg

Hey Rick - Please stay safe. Awesome video from your B.I.L. as usual. I’ve been subscribed to his YouTube channel since he did the Phillips Box mill stuff.

Stay safe buddy. I’m very familiar with that Whiskeytown area. My first summer out of high school, I worked for the Bureau of Reclamation working on the Whiskeytown Dam. Beautiful area…I hate to see it burning.

Awesome video from your BiL!

Just got back from a trip to Portland and Olympia. Driving up on Friday, we were amazed and saddened by the sight of burned-out structures and vehicles. We started back yesterday and spent the night in Medford. The hotel smelled of smoke in the lobby and hallways. Altogether we had thick smoke from above Roseburg all the way down to Vacaville. It reminded me of last year’s Napa/Sonoma fires only this time the temperature was in the 100s (112 when we stopped in Redding). This is serious stuff! Prayers for everyone involved in what is a horrific fire season all around the western US …

Rick, I hope they get it contained before it gets anywhere near you. We are getting lots of smoke down here from several fires in the mountains around us. The worst being the one near Yosemite. Just heard from a dear friend that lives in Mariposa that they have been evacuated and the fire was just over the ridge from them. This extreme heat has made an already bad situation worse. Praying for all!

Steve

We’ve been getting updates regularly on the air quality. Grant’s pass wasn’t too bad, Medford was a bit worse, Klamath Falls was atrocious. Those fires are getting too close for comfort. Stay safe my friend, all of you out there are in our prayers.

Well guys, news not so good this morning.

We are still safe enough here, although we we watching the flames on the mountain last night.

The Carr Fire in Redding has just wiped out the west side of the city according to reports.

My BiL lost his home, my other Sister and her husband lost their home, 7-8 miles apart and news is still coming in about

friends, pretty grim.

Saying prayers for you Rick. I appreciate your situation, NM is a high threat wildfire zone too.

Thanks Boomer, and thanks for posting the maps.

The first one shows the shoe string line of the thunder storm/lightening strikes on July 15th from the Cal/OR boarder at the ocean to Crater Lake. The second map shows the Taylor Creek fire, part of the larger Complex, and the hopeful containment lines. Only 4-5 miles West of us and good so far but that can change drastically in an hour. They seem to be pushing evacuations about 2 miles ahead of the fire lines.

Rick

Rick Marty said:

The first one shows the shoe string line of the thunder storm/lightening strikes on July 15th from the Cal/OR boarder at the ocean to Crater Lake. The second map shows the Taylor Creek fire, part of the larger Complex, and the hopeful containment lines. Only 4-5 miles West of us and good so far but that can change drastically in an hour. They seem to be pushing evacuations about 2 miles ahead of the fire lines.

Rick

Stay safe my friend. Dave tried to call you this morning.

I hope you are still safe. We are still ok here on the desert but it is really dry.

We have longtime friends in Redding but the are toward the south side and ok so far.

We are back, courtesy of Bob!

Thanks Doug,

Hope they stay safe. They are now issuing evacuation orders for south west Redding area half way to Anderson, man this is unreal, two Fire Fighters dead and many others injured and the fire is ??? 3% contained, Wow. So far we are good here the fire seems to be moving more north than east.

Gary Armitstead said:

Rick Marty said:

Rick

Thanks Gary,

I talked to Dave later this morning, all is good!

Dave suggested we dress you up as a K-9 handler and sneak you into our reunion in San Diego this fall

but I told him you had more self respect than to be seen with a bunch like us(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Rick

Rick Marty said:

Gary Armitstead said:

Rick Marty said:

Rick

Thanks Gary,

I talked to Dave later this morning, all is good!

Dave suggested we dress you up as a K-9 handler and sneak you into our reunion in San Diego this fall

but I told him you had more self respect than to be seen with a bunch like us(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Rick

Rick,

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: Seriously that sounds like a plan. There is a very nice exhibit in San Diego now for the Army/Navy Mobile Riverine Force in Vietnam. The unit I was with in combat…Navy and 9th INF DIV in the Mekong Delta.

So sorry to hear of the effect this fire has had on your family, Rick.

I lived in Redding for about a year when I was kid, back in 1963.

Thanks Ray, Geeze, our paths seem to have crossed on a number of occasions. 1963 was the year we moved from Arcata to Redding, was that your move or did you have another stop in between?

This Carr fire is a son of a bitch, over 500 structures destroyed (I think that will be a very conservative estimate when all is done), several people dead and a lot still listed as missing. A number of family and friends have lost their homes and belongings, a Grandmother and her two great grand children killed in the fire, we knew her from back when. There is no emoticon for this.

Meanwhile the evacuation lines on the Fire here have crept a mile closer, if no weather change soon, we look to be put on notice in the next couple days, The Fu----- fun just doesn’t stop.

Rick Marty said:

Thanks Ray, Geeze, our paths seem to have crossed on a number of occasions. 1963 was the year we moved from Arcata to Redding, was that your move or did you have another stop in between?

This Carr fire is a son of a bitch, over 500 structures destroyed (I think that will be a very conservative estimate when all is done), several people dead and a lot still listed as missing. A number of family and friends have lost their homes and belongings, a Grandmother and her two great grand children killed in the fire, we knew her from back when. There is no emoticon for this.

Meanwhile the evacuation lines on the Fire here have crept a mile closer, if no weather change soon, we look to be put on notice in the next couple days, The Fu----- fun just doesn’t stop.

That sucks, big time. We’ll keep you in our prayers.

My family moved to Redding from San Fernando. Then from Redding we moved to Freshwater, in the boonies outside of Arcata. Then we moved to Arcata.