Large Scale Central

Battery train set for toddler

Sorta looking at cost effective train sets for the neighbor kid. We are both the same age mentally and he just loves my trains however I cannot always run them for him when he wants. So I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Lionel G scale sets (or others) that take the C-cell batteries and are around $100 or less?

I know they have their own plastic track so he can set up his own empire at home. However the big question I have is “gauge” and “are they capable of running on my outside 332 track”? I realize that it probably doesn’t run very long but my RR is pretty level about 2% grade max. Him and his dad hop the fence and walk the railroad occasionally looking for the trains but if he had his own train then he could run whenever he wants here and at home.

Thoughts? / Suggestions ?

Thanks

Rooz

I’ve run a New Bright type train at Xmas a few times. It had a remote control and lots of noisy sounds you can turn on and off. It even smoked if you poured some oil in it. Very inexpensive and kids love them.

I’ve run my Lionel Polar Express outside on my 45 mms gauge track. The kid wore out before the battery did.

If you are considering it, be advised the LGB set is not up to the brand’s quality. The loco is a stripped down model 2075. I have the shell of one from 1976 (My first train!), and that older one had more detail parts glued / molded to it than its modern incarnation. More critically, the on / off button jams, and the IR-activated sound system died in about 3 months. To be fair, this is supposed to be a Christmas set, not a regular on the rails, so maybe the little thing got loved to exhaustion!

On the upshot, it can pull about 2-3 shorties on our relatively level railroad for hours, and it fit the (relatively) toddler proof / toddler operated niche for us. It comes with cars that may have potential for those more skill than I in modifying models and it contains real brass track. Oh, and it also serves as my ready loco for quick demonstrations or nights I am too lazy to wire up the Triple O.

Aloha,

Eric

Steve Featherkile said:

I’ve run my Lionel Polar Express outside on my 45 mms gauge track. The kid wore out before the battery did.

Pete and Steve …Yes, however is it readily available and under $100 like the Lionel "Ready to Play"sets currently are? They are not able to run on 45mm track as the description states? http://www.lionelstore.com/Thomas-Friends-Ready-To-Play-Set

Thinking this might promote an “Open Letter” from Rooz to Neil Young cc/Rod Stewart when I have time.

This post has been edited by ROOSTER: …never follow a comma with “However” dumass.

" Rooster " said:

So I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Lionel G scale sets (or others) that take the C-cell batteries and are around $100 or less?

I know they have their own plastic track so he can set up his own empire at home. However the big question I have is “gauge” and “are they capable of running on my outside 332 track”

Thoughts? / Suggestions ?

Thanks

Rooz

Staying on topic after reading it twice as suggested!

Hey, Rooster.

It doesn’t say the battery R/C Thomas loco will not run on 45 mm Gauge track.

It says that the track is not compatible with Lionel or any other G gauge track.

Is it wise to allow the neighbor kid to run trains on your railroad when you are not present? I extended an open invitation to a neighbor kid to come over anytime. I ended up regretting that, and he was an irritant until he discovered something called girls.

My understanding is the Lionel stuff does run on gauge one track, and several folks have posed pictured of them doing so. But yea, the Lionel track isn’t like any other track out there, and so it will not connect to any of what is out these besides Lionel track.

what about battery operated lego trains?

David Maynard said:

Is it wise to allow the neighbor kid to run trains on your railroad when you are not present? I extended an open invitation to a neighbor kid to come over anytime. I ended up regretting that, and he was an irritant until he discovered something called girls.

My understanding is the Lionel stuff does run on gauge one track, and several folks have posed pictured of them doing so. But yea, the Lionel track isn’t like any other track out there, and so it will not connect to any of what is out these besides Lionel track.

Not really concerned about at this point and he’s really the grand kid next door so he isn’t always there. Besides he is only about 3yrs old and comes over with dad at this point. Just thinking about helping to promote more interest in our hobby that’s all. It was kinda my understanding as well about the Lionel ready to run stuff but wondering if anyone had “direct” experience with it doing so.

I’d probably favor the old battery powered big haulers then, there’s plenty of parts lying around and put the battery inside.

Greg

What about control ?

Check this out: https://familygardentrains.com/primer/shoe_string/lionel_toy_train/lionel_toy_g_trains.htm

I picked up a ‘new-old stock’ Lionel ‘Crayola’ set when considering the jump into battery power. It ran just fine on my aristocraft/lgb track, though I was concerned about the front trucks maybe derailing. Remote control appeared to work fine; track was actually fairly decent, as plastic track goes. Remote control worked fine. The cars that came with the set were not compatible with my other Lionel/Bachmann cars, though there are others in the same series. It did take a pile of ‘C’ batteries, though.

At the same time, I picked up a dirt cheap New Blight holidaze set. Nowhere near as good as the Lionel set. On/off switch, no RC - turn it on and let it go. Flimsy track that cracked a couple times setting it up.

I ended up giving both sets to a quasi-relatives kids for Christmas - with a pile of old tubular Lionel metal track instead of the plastic stuff (gave them some switches as well.) I hear its quite the hit with the kids, especially the 8 and 3 year olds. (they moved to the lower 48 a few months back)

Rooster, if you were asking me, the battery powered haulers had a very simple remote:

The Union Pacific on the left is a Scientific Models engine and tender that I picked up at a garage sale for $5. It runs well on my layout, but I find myself replacing the traction tires every year, I use bicycle inner tube for the tires, and I had to make a lowering adapter for the coupler to hook up to my rolling stock.

The bell is the on-off switch, and it makes it’s own smoke, never had to add fluid since I’ve owned it. Has a little remote control for the sounds, and to stop/start.