Large Scale Central

Big Wig inspection tour

Management decided to find out where all this money they’ve been spending on the RR has gone, and decided to check out the main line.

Leaving Burke

Downhill towards Williamsport

Past the station at Williamsport

The branch line to Pearce heads off to the right, but we continue down the hill

Coming out of the cut

And over the new bridge before Majestic

Majestic yard limits

Through Majestic, past the new signal bungalow and under the bridge. Starting the long slow climb to Dead Rooster Gulch.

Up the re-graded hill. Much easier now.

Past the switch for the main heading to Franklin Falls. Instead, we’re taking the loop route.

Very nice, Bob. So was Management satisfied as to where the budgeted funds went?

Typical management - couldn’t even be bothered to leave the combine (and the booze?)

Looks great! It looks like you’ll be ready for TrainOps 2018!

Looking good !

Bruce Chandler said:

Looks great! It looks like you’ll be ready for TrainOps 2018!

I’m not going to have all the track replaced that I want to, so there will be a few slow orders. I’ve ordered a bunch of switch throws, I need to replace a couple bad ones. But all in all the RR is in pretty good shape.

Bob; Do you have ‘tree rats’ who eat your ground throws? If so I’ll send a picture of a ground throw they will not eat! Paul A

E. Paul Austin said:

Bob; Do you have ‘tree rats’ who eat your ground throws? If so I’ll send a picture of a ground throw they will not eat! Paul A

Ken DOES visit. Does THAT count? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Great work, and photos, Bob. Looking at these, it suddenly came to me where I should place a station that just wouldnt fit where it was. Thanks for the help. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Very nice Bob, loving all the rock work!

Very nice Bob. I love the landscaping.

Sophie B

Dismal Creek Railroad

Looking good - see you in just under two weeks!

Looking really good. I like the bridges, the rockery and that cut is really cool.

E. Paul Austin said:

No, havent had any problems with critters eating them. Mostly its parts of the Tenmile throws breaking, or the high switch stands. People like to grab the target of those and twist the switch stand to throw the switch, and that breaks the hell out of them. Annoying when they’re ‘not cheap’. I havent had any issues yet with the Bachmann ones… (crosses fingers)

Very nice Bob. Beautiful layout.

Heh. My problem is with the so called “Humans” tripping over my ground throws. What’s worse is that I am ALWAYS the “guilty” party (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif).

Sheesh. I put them there, put marking flags near them so I am “warned”, but still trip over my ground throws and end up breaking them.

I’ve switched to the 10 Mille or the Bachmann ones, and that helps a lot. Although, I AM still clumsy - I guess there’s NO help for THAT! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

Bob McCown said:

E. Paul Austin said:

No, havent had any problems with critters eating them. Mostly its parts of the Tenmile throws breaking, or the high switch stands. People like to grab the target of those and twist the switch stand to throw the switch, and that breaks the hell out of them. Annoying when they’re ‘not cheap’. I havent had any issues yet with the Bachmann ones… (crosses fingers)

Bob, that’s why you modify those so the rod with the target is press fit into a tube. Then when ham handed switch-man what’s his name, grabs the target and turns it, only the target turns.

The only issue I have with the one Bachmann throw I have is that the targets disappeared. I wonder if some furry critter fancied them and took them.

Nice layout/photos Bob. Love the locomotive. Wish I could post nice photos like that off my smartphone on my posts. You must have put a lot of hours into the construction of your layout. It sure shows. I am thoroughly impressed! Thanks for the post and photos. Just curious about the size though? Ken

Ken Mathews/Imagination Station Kids On Track said:

Nice layout/photos Bob. Love the locomotive. Wish I could post nice photos like that off my smartphone on my posts. You must have put a lot of hours into the construction of your layout. It sure shows. I am thoroughly impressed! Thanks for the post and photos. Just curious about the size though? Ken

Layout is maybe 60 feet by 30 feet… ish… its sort of a weird X shape in the yard.

Yea, lots and lots of hours. I stopped counting how much rock after 50 tons (the latest batch was only 5, but they are two-man sized). Many yards of fill, loam, and ballast gravel. Hundreds of plants. Its been a huge undertaking.