Large Scale Central

Upscale Delton Box Car: 1:24 car in 1:20.3

I was looking for a way to add some more 1:20.3 box cars to my Fern Creek and Western Railroad without having to open my wallet up for more AMS or Bachmann Spectrum cars. I was taking a look at some of my Delton 1:24 box cars and thought about whether they could amount to anything in 1:20.3 scale. I have seen other people successfully convert these cars to 1:20.3 simply with a new paint job or with something like a complete rebuild. I decided to go somewhere in the middle. I completely detailed with brake rigging underneath, body mounted kadee couplers, air hoses, new brake wheel and locks on the doors, etc. I then repainted the car, and masked off the area where the car’s reporting marks would go. I applied the FC&W logo (custom printed by Stan Cedarleaf’s) to the side of the car and then gave it a weathering job to represent peeling paint and rusty hardware. I then took the tape off and applied the reporting marks so that it looks like the car had repainted reporting marks. And done here’s what I got! It looks very good next to the much larger FC&W box car by AMS. #467 is a much older and worn out car in this era than the new and much more modern #400. I am very happy with the way this project turned out and I plan to do a few more!

Nice work, Trevor, inspirational, in fact. Will see what I can get out of my workshop, other than trouble. Bud Harriss(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Well dang, those look good! I run a few that all I did was put Accucraft couplers and brake hoses on, I might have to try that repaint trick.

yes those are very nice looking

Dennis