Large Scale Central

Painting and weathering a Bachmann 3-truck Shay

The Bachmann 3-truck Shay I have is still in factory colors, etc. so I feel the need to put on my roadname and beat it up a bit. Advice on tricking it out a bit (details) as well as weathering techniques are much sought after.

To start, I painted it flat black:

Current plan:

• Add number and roadname decals (Cedarcliff specials of course)
  • Paint some of the “wood” surfaces some kind of brown, plus maybe an india ink wash to bring out the grain
  • Add rust and grime using dry brushing
  • Spray on some dust

I’m not sure at all about how to detail this more (other than the tried and true antlers). Any suggestions?

And yes, I have too many projects going at once :frowning:

Cheers!

Oooh, I’d love it if people would “hijack” this topic and show me their detailed and/or weathered Shays.

Thanks!

Jim,

Here is a shot of my sorta scratch built 3 trucker #9 working the mill turn on Dick Smith’s Port Orford Coast line a couple years ago. Maybe it will give you some ideas on what not to do(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif).

You mentioned you sprayed it flat black, most of the flat colors I have seen and used have a tendency to mar very easily when rubbed or lightly scratched, and if your going to use water slides they will not work well on flat paint. If your going to use water slides you need a coat of Crystal Clear for them to set well, and do the whole area not just a section or the difference will show when all done. After decals and some base weathering give everything a coat of Matte UV resistant spray.

On this I used Satin Black and clear sprays as mentioned above. Most of the rust and wear areas were put on using Acrylics, and the final dirt and grime was done with artist oil colors and terp thinner. I don’t try for a “dust” covering anymore because I have never found one I could apply to my satisfaction.

Rick

Some suggestions:

Water pump and canvas hoses for pulling water from streams. Both for filling the boiler and putting out fires

Tool boxes

Re-rail frogs

misc. timbers for helping re-rail

oil cans (the kind used to oil around the engine) and where ever they set - an oil puddle

pair of heavy leather gloves laying around the cab.

2 truck shay

two truck shay with details

Scott Johnson said:

2 truck shay

two truck shay with details

Corrected the url so everyone can see it.

Way to go Scott! The antlers aren’t convincing and the weathering on the yellow looks more like smudges, but other than that I think it’s perfection…I got you bookmarked and it’s the background on my computer now!! Any more pictures?

Scott,

I think it looks perfect!

Rick, Scott: those are fantastic looking Shays. Thanks for sharing those.

Here’s where I’ve gotten so far, overview:

Closer in:

Good stuff Jim…Now wet down some 600 grit sandpaper and drag it from the top to the bottom over that white lettering and numbers…If you are scared then start with 1500 but it must be wet not dry.

I model Amtrak but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Jim,

What your doing is looking really good, don’t see why you were looking for input(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif).

Anyway I tried to find a picture of my old #7 but came up empty (in the Freight Sheds) so went out and snapped a couple.

It is a 2 truck and I don’t use it much anymore because it is still track power, hmmm, gotta change that.

Maybe you can see something here you might want to try.

Rick

Thanks guys for the pics. I’m enjoying those added details: storage, chains, hoses, oil and other liquid containers, tool boxes, etc. I’ll have to see if I can pull some of that stuff together.

Cheers!

The suction hose , use some white shoe lace , over a #12 grounding wire , slightly bent to show sagging , then soak it in Tee.

The smaller hoses , some use solder, painted .

Thanks Sean. Great tips! Solder… I love it…

For a variety of hoses, fabric stores carry ‘Piping’ It comes in a variety of diameters and weaves. I found some that looked like hoses more than laces…

In bulk off a spool can be less expensive too.

Sean said:

The suction hose , use some white shoe lace , over a #12 grounding wire , slightly bent to show sagging , then soak it in Tee.

The smaller hoses , some use solder, painted .

I used para cord from Wal-Mart, couldn’t get the tea or coffee to stain it because it was nylon, finally wound up painting, Billpara cord on tank car

u

I got no shay, no heisler, nor climax … but I have done hoses. I stained with coffee and tea, because my laundry has proved them permanent! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)I used piping to fool the brand conscious kids…

Some critter stole my fabricated nozzle and hose!

John those look good, I tried coffee and tea but couldn’t get them to color my para cord and I believe so because they were nylon, where did you get the nozzles?, Bill

I fabricated it out of shim brass and wire. easy soldered. There is also a nozzle on the monitor on the canteen.

They’re very nice, good work