Large Scale Central

Revolution Receiver Repair - revisited

I have repaired a number of Revolution receivers. Over the years the circuitry and components used on them have changed so I have recently updated my web page to show two revised repair techniques.

This article addresses these issues:

1. A receiver that will operate a train in one direction but not when reversed (shorted Mosfets)

2. A receiver is completely unresponsive (blown surface mount fuse on the board)

My notes are here:

http://www.trainelectronics.com/Revolution_Receiver_Repair/index.html#UPDATE_6-29-2018_

I hope this helps some of you

dave

Dave, I have an issue with almost all of my original non-sound boards. If the engine is traveling in one direction and I try to reverse without getting to 0% first, it goes dead. I have to unplug the battery before it will come back. Contacted JK at Revo and he told me it was an issue with my batteries and had me up the momentum and that cured the symptoms, but they’re similar enough to what you’re describing on your site to make me think there is something wrong with my boards. So is what I’m experiencing a bad mosfet?

Red Chaplin said:

Dave, I have an issue with almost all of my original non-sound boards. If the engine is traveling in one direction and I try to reverse without getting to 0% first, it goes dead. I have to unplug the battery before it will come back. Contacted JK at Revo and he told me it was an issue with my batteries and had me up the momentum and that cured the symptoms, but they’re similar enough to what you’re describing on your site to make me think there is something wrong with my boards. So is what I’m experiencing a bad mosfet?

Red - I have never heard of that issue - I am inclined to doubt that the Mosfets are bad since changing the momentum cured it -

What kind of batteries are you using?

dave

David Bodnar said:

Red - I have never heard of that issue - I am inclined to doubt that the Mosfets are bad since changing the momentum cured it -

What kind of batteries are you using?

dave

They’re labeled as HJE brand from Robby @RLDhobbies.

I gather that they are lithium - it is possible that they have an over-current sensor that shuts them down when you go from forward to reverse too quickly - changing momentum slows that transistion

dave