Large Scale Central

Sinclair "Dino" fuel storage tank

top steps

constructionoil tank

This a 9" PVC plug that I added 1/8" brass tubing to and put cotter pins in then soldered them in, taped the bottoms with 4/40 die and screwed into the top of the pvc cap that I also threaded. The stairs are plastruct that I cut out one side so that they would bend arount the pvc cap. Installed piano wire through the eyelets of the cotter pins and soldered where necessary. Liked the Sinclair decals with the sayin of " mellowed for 80 million years ". Rememebered as a kid of a Sinclair gas station in Pa that had a Dino on the front of the station that you had to walk through to get to the inside, so I added the Dino just for fun ( jockulairty ) as it maybe. Lot of fun to build and the Grand Kids love it. Since building Dino was gotten sticky, think something is reacting with the rubbery body and causing the problem, going to try and coat it with something and see if we can’t get him a little less sticky, Bill

Nice work! Very creative.

Perhaps some sort of clear coat for dino, but I’m not sure if it won’t react with the rubber. There’s just no telling with dinosaurs.

Nice work with the cotter keys …very cheap and very underused resource. Where in PA was the Sinclair station that you remember?

Although not used as a real gas station anymore, there was a Sinclair Station in Atlanta on McLendon Ave at Whiteford. When I was old enuf

(about 4 or 5, I think) I would walk my old man to the Ga Power Co streetcar to go to work, then I would stop and see a neighbor lady on the

way home to get cookies. My folks traded there, and it was fun to watch the attendant pump the gas up to the glass bowl before draining into

the tank of the old '29 Studebaker, right in front of the windshield. Seems like those stations were everywhere, then. Bud Harriss

Here is the “back story” (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

" Rooster " said:

Nice work with the cotter keys …very cheap and very underused resource. Where in PA was the Sinclair station that you remember? Don’t remember I was too young but I remember walking thru them, maybe near Sunbury as my mom was from there

Mr. Barnwell thank you for making me explore some history I was unaware of… but still exists !

Mr. Harriss thank you for memories as I will probably never experience that!

I am thankful for many things but I’m very thankful for old guys and their stories they share as I’m rapidly becoming one!

Good stuff

Awesome tank! Well done!

coming from you that’s something, thanks, Bill

" Rooster " said: Rooster where was this picture from it definitely jogged some old memories, Bill

Mr. Barnwell thank you for making me explore some history I was unaware of… but still exists !

Mr. Harriss thank you for memories as I will probably never experience that!

I am thankful for many things but I’m very thankful for old guys and their stories they share as I’m rapidly becoming one!

Good stuff

Bill,

I just pulled it off the internet. You sent me on a search for Sinclair gas stations with a dinosaur. Appears Sinclair was native to PA and I had no clue. I love history so the information you sent me seeking to learn more educated me a bit.

Thanks

http://olddogsnewtricks2010.blogspot.com/2010/09/latest-tricks-from-high-brow-to-low.html

try here Bill. ^^^^^
We continued north to Wisconsin Dells for a look-see. Wow! This was a retro tourist mecca, complete with all the “requirements”—amusement parks, neon motel signs, two-story cowboy statues…you get the idea. We discovered that Sinclair gas stations still exist when we spotted a giant Sinclair dinosaur. Of course, we took advantage of the photo op with “Dino”. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Yep that is correct ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^