Large Scale Central

Bachmann coaling tower

rear backadded floortop viewladdernite timeSaw several of these coaling towers changed to fit? g scale, I just went a little further. Back in the early days of G scale in the US Bachmann decided to include buildings in their battery powered sets to spur sales, the set I bought included a O scale coaling tower and the O was stamped over with G. being much too small and after seeing some conversions I did may own, added a floor, increased the walkways and ladders sizes and bulked up the beams and now have one suitable for my small layout. Figured that being as my layout was only about 25’ it would supply enough coal to get back around and it wasn’t over powering.

Nicely done Bill. Thanks for the pics!

Looks good!

You’ve done a heck of a job on that coaling tower, Bill. The weathering looks very realistic. Thanks for sharing.

Spectacular. And I really like your railroad’s herald!

That’s really impressive! Well done! I’ve got one of these laying around the garage somewhere, thanks for the inspiration.

very interesting, this conversion of a plastic toy into a real model!

I’ve done two of these conversions to G over the years, got another kit sitting in a bag, they are one of the few kits from O that actually do work pretty well in G once you adjust the handrails and change the doors to access hatches.

Bill, that is a very nice model, you have a great eye for realistic models

Dennis

Nice work, thanks for sharing.

Wow that looks great and it is perfect for a small RR.

Truly inspirational Bill! I am sure many of the guys here will have something similar on their ‘to do’ list.

Great job Bill.

Shane

Well done, indeed.

That looks great! Inspires me to do something similar with the one I have. What did you use for the building at the base?

It’s like a large piece of plastic think it’s called Kydex, comes in different thicknesses and is heat resistant, big box stores carry it along with amazon