Large Scale Central

MLS gone? or my connection?

for nearly two days i can not open the mls forum.

anybody got the same problem?

It’s there, but they are changing to Google Cloud which might be the problem…

Korm,

MLS works OK for me too.

Korm,

You may not WANT to open MLS. Dwight is quitting, and apparently so are others. Link to the thread:

http://forums.mylargescale.com/11-public-forum/87904-mls-changes.html

I have only been a lurker there for several years, only posting if I had something to say that might assist with a problem. Too many flamers and totally insufficient support from the owner, who is only interested in how much ‘click’ advertising he can get.

Still works for me Korm

thank you all!

i just managed to open the “my live steam forum” to find Dwights thread.

I pretty much left MLS when the Mason Bogie Project fell apart. With Dwight departing, and with the

ties expanding with Google, it’s goodbye for me too. I just came to join LSC, only to discover, I had joined a couple of years ago.

So I will re-welcome myself aboard!!

John P

Welcome Aboard John P

I would think BD needs to steel himself for the next influx, I am sure there will be a fair number headed to other fora.

to other fora??

seems, there are less and lesser. some days ago i wondered, how the number of dayly posts here went down since the competition in january.

searched for other large- or G-scale fora.

i did not find any with more than half a hundred posts since 1st of jan.

what i found - it is LSC and GSC over in england, and one or two German fora, that still have some activity.

looks like more and more of us got so old, that they forgot that they used to have a hobby.

while the kiddies of about forty or less, that have interest, room and money to start in our scale get fewer.

Korm, I think it goes more towards other forms of media…Facebook. Even some of our more prolific younger set ie. Shawn, have moved their posting to FB. Yes the age group vs disposable income is a factor, I think forums such as this don’t appeal to the younger crowd.

facebook - yes, that might be.

their bad, if they change to a medium with less “memory”.

i hope, i will resist the temptation to join the day fly lifestyle.

I have many fond memories of MSL, lots of useful advice. Very slow these days.

Most of my G scale post these days are on this Facebook site: https://www.facebook.com/groups/gscale/

Bob Cope said:

Korm,

You may not WANT to open MLS. Dwight is quitting, and apparently so are others. Link to the thread:

http://forums.mylargescale.com/11-public-forum/87904-mls-changes.html

I have only been a lurker there for several years, only posting if I had something to say that might assist with a problem. Too many flamers and totally insufficient support from the owner, who is only interested in how much ‘click’ advertising he can get.

That is why I never joined that site. I read 2 or 3 threads, and was so turned off by the people flaming each other. So, again, I have to say thanks to Bob for squelching that kind of excrement here on LSC.

I love it when the moderator does the flaming… have to look way back in time for most of these… but the “Kool Aid” days were pretty rough if you were not a “Believer” over there.

Believe? Naw, I am a cynic. I need prof anymore. I been burned too many time just taking someone’s word for it. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

It’s a nice board. Good thread topics, but unfortunately not many takers. I receive a “Weekly Highlights” e-mail from the “support team” at Mylargescale. That’s useful and a good tool for recruiting. But again, it’s rare that a thread is more than a couple of pages long. Is Kevin Strong part of their support team?

And there’s one or two guys over there who periodically give Greg crap - I guess they’re jealous of what he knows or something.

Pain in the butt: You’re reading a post in a thread and all of a sudden BAM! It’s gone! A large advertisement suddenly inserts itself (belatedly) into the thread and you gotta scroll down and find the post again to continue reading. That’s annoying as hell.

And only “1st Class Members” can list postings in the Classifieds section. What’s up with that?

Somebody mentioned that some people have migrated away to Facebook and I believe that. There’s four or five Facebook groups full of Large Scale people and it seems like there’s new names all the time.

You will know it is finally gone when the live steamers jump ship and come over here. I don’t know when that will be, but I’m pretty sure when it happens, it will be that whole group of guys. They sort of act like a separate forum themselves (and I cannot blame them), and there is a tremendous amount of knowledge there that is not quite yet matched here, in my opinion.

Anyway, I think when Shad sold the site, it was in a cobbled-together architecture, where the forum software was one piece, the “home” area and photos another, and the 1st class web space another. He was always busy keeping those pieces together and coordinated.

As soon as the new owners took over, the 2 other pieces went to heck, and there was no one to keep putting on the twine and chewing gum to keep it together, and in Vertical Scope’s defense, they could care less. Pictures disappeared and it took a year to even get a partial admission that they were lost forever. (What happened is some administrator started deleting stuff from a server he had no idea about).

They did not feel keeping up the monthly competitions or anything else that really helped “make” the community over there.

So MLS became another corporate investment, and apparently not a very good one…

Greg

Greg,

I remember when MLS was sold and TOC predicted that MLS would go down the tube shortly after the Vertical Scope takeover… And here we are a few years later…

At this point we are kind of like watching it go around in the toilet bowl, one of these times it will slip under and be gone.

I wonder if old Les ever built his layout? The wife wasn’t feeling good you know…