Large Scale Central

2-6-2 prairie

| |
2-6-2 prairie

tender coal load2-6-2 kitbashed prairieleft side center boilerright side center boilerRemember the “G” scale coaling tower that came with the first battery powered 4-6-0 Bachmann train sets, well this is the engine from that set. Just now getting around to making it hole again and finishing details I left off years ago. Built in 1995 hence the engine # 501. Lettering has disappeared and sound system has failed but all in all engine is still in good shape, I shortened the smoke box by 1 set of rivets and shortened the boiler up to the last boiler ban. Moved the steam generator to the center. Again as before I used cotter pins with pop rivets bases to make railing stanchions. Use to drive by an old Prairie up in Leesburg, Fl. when I covered that area, took pictures and did research on the engine. Unusual to see electrical wires run through the boiler grab rails but that was the way it was built, Shortened the tender by about an inch, trying to keep the engine /tender as short as possible. mounted the boiler on a LGB Mogul motor block and added trailing truck from a LGB 2080. Rope is copper wire strands twisted. If you notice the air tank on the back of the tender it is a cigar tube that my dad had. The fireman is screwed to the draw bar between the engine and tender and when the train is moving, he moves all around. Originally had a flat plate under him which is now open and cant find the part. Plan on cleaning the engine up and lettering the tender again. I also have a LGB Mogul and use it for my passenger train, the prairie is my freight.

Well got around to fixing the tender, made a new plate to go under the fireman so he didn’t look like he was tight rope walking, got the tender re lettered and painted, finished off the coal for a better looks, still need to scrounge up a brake wheel. shortened the draw bar and cleaned wheels and contacts

|
| - | - |

Hey Bill,

Nice job. It is a pleasure to see someone building models these days.

Rick

Sweet!

Very nice !

Looks like a real work horse Bill. Very nice(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

How did you do the lettering?

well, that is one really upgraded Big Howler…

Very clever idea to have the fireman surfing on the drawbar!

Greg

David Marconi,FOGCH said:

Looks like a real work horse Bill. Very nice(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

How did you do the lettering?

cameo silhouette, vinyl letters, did the state painted that part of the tender green then put the vinyl state on, sprayed it flat black and took the state back off

thank you

Nicely done! Makes think I would like to do that too. I had an HO 2-6-2 which I sold some years ago, would like one in Fn3 (G Scale) now. However, I DON’T another rod engine at this time, i.e. too many now!

Paul

Is that even possible?

Yes David, it is quite possible!!! I have 12 or 13, all with RCS and Sierra Sound, and I can not run them all. And yes I have some favorites - like a 2-8-0 one BBT chassie and an Annie Boiler, A 3 truck Shay which I like allot but save as it is breakable!

Paul

Yea, I will probably never get sound into all of my locomotives.

That is an old picture of my storage area. By now I must have twice as many steam locomotives then what is pictured. Them darn Porters, and other small locomotives, just seam to multiply when I am not looking.

Actually I probably have 3 times as many steamers then what is pictured. A few are basket cases, bought for parts, but most I have plans on running…someday…eventually.

E. Paul Austin said:

…I DON’T [need] another rod engine at this time, i.e. too many now!

Hmm, I vaguely recall saying that to myself a time or three. Usually right before I buy another engine. I’m a sucker for deals that are too good to pass up.

Seriously, I like it. It’s got a beefy look to it. I’m working (very slowly) on a 2-6-2, also.

I’m using the frame from a Bachmann 4-6-0, though heavily modified. Stumbling block right now is the frame to the rear of the drivers and trailing truck. Not sure how I want to go forward on that yet. Plastic is easy, but weak. Aluminum or brass would be better, but do I want to mill it myself or have it cut for me? This one’s been on the shelf for a few years while other projects have jumped ahead. Probably time to get back going on it…

Later,

K

2-6-2 prairie

Posted by chocho willy on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 2:59 PM

tender coal load2-6-2 kitbashed prairieleft side center boilerright side center boilerRemember the “G” scale coaling tower that came with the first battery powered 4-6-0 Bachmann train sets, well this is the engine from that set. Just now getting around to making it hole again and finishing details I left off years ago. Built in 1995 hence the engine # 501. Lettering has disappeared and sound system has failed but all in all engine is still in good shape, I shortened the smoke box by 1 set of rivets and shortened the boiler up to the last boiler ban. moved the steam generator to the center. Again as before I used cotter pins with pop rivets bases to make railing stanchions. Use to drive by an old Prairie up in Leesburg, Fl. when I covered that area, took pictures and did research on the engine. Unusual to see electrical wires run through the boiler grab rails but that was the way it was built, Shortened the tender by about an inch, trying to keep the engine /tender as short as possible. mounted the boiler on a LGB Mogul motor block and added trailing truck from a LGB 2080. Rope is copper wire strands twisted. If you notice the air tank on the back of the tender it is a cigar tube that my dad had. The fireman is screwed to the draw bar between the engine and tender and when the train is moving, he moves all around. Originally had a flat plate under him which is now open and cant find the part. Plan on cleaning the engine up and lettering the tender again. I also have a LGB Mogul and use it for my passenger train, the prairie is my freight. I will up date pictures as I progress, Bill

X