Large Scale Central

Train Shelves

We just moved to a new condo, much smaller than the old one. So I lost 3 workshop areas, a garage and the family room which had shelves built in that were perfect for my trains. Sigh.

The new condo had a corner in the hallway with some very ugly old white shelves, and the carpenter working on handrails, etc., suggested putting some of his adjustable shelves in place of them. So he did, and wife told me I could display a few trains. So I did.

Unfortunately, it’s about 30" wide and my EBT #12 just won’t fit. I’m considering a tunnel-mouth hole in the drywall an the left side of the top shelf - should give me almost 36" as the top is 32" wide.

Oh yea, smash a few holes in the walls, why not?

Do you have room for a layout? Indoors or outside?

Pete Thornton said:

Unfortunately, it’s about 30" wide and my EBT #12 just won’t fit. I’m considering a tunnel-mouth hole in the drywall an the left side of the top shelf - should give me almost 36" as the top is 32" wide.

I would be very careful about trying that. There’s probably, at least, 2 2x4’s holding that drywall up on that wall.

How about putting a tunnel portal there, but no hole in the wall, and just display the locomotive like the tender is in the tunnel.

That is a perfect spot for shelves to display trains.

Have you run this hole in the wall plan by your wife yet? she might say you have a hole in your head ! I know mine would.

Why not find another spot for your #12 like a mantle or put up a single shelf somewhere?

Does it fit with the tender coupler removed?

Greg Elmassian said:

Does it fit with the tender coupler removed?

They might be display shelves but the trains are expected to rush off to steam ups at a moments notice! None of them are shelf queens - yet.

Dave - good suggestion on the tunnel, though I don’t think I need more than 2" more. The drywall is 1/2" so if there’s a gap between the 2x4s holding up the LHS I should be fine.

A small sledge hammer can easily make room for the pilot and rear couplers.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

The signs are clear: You need to move to a bigger condo!! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Bruce Chandler said:

The signs are clear: You need to move to a bigger condo!! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

This is a downsize from a 3,000 sq ft townhome! It’s already 1,850 sq ft, and the trains fit in the old pantry.

I think I need to sell all my EBT trains. I’m playing with little engines and small rolling stock, and the deck is huge so I can put a 32mm railroad along it around the planters. [Vic had a good thread about that.]

Peter,

You bring up an issue that I am seeing happen all too often. When I down sized from a 3200 sq ft home to a 795 sq ft home eight years ago, I was fortunate that the new house had an out-building that I could move all of my rolling stock into and is adjacent to where the track was set up. Only my locomotives take up shelves in the house. But there is the real possibility that in the future I could be in a condo situation like you, and running trains will become limited to group meets at public displays or a member of a Grand Scale club that also has Gauge One track.

When I was in Japan and visiting the Yokohama Live Steamers the majority of the members only showed up with their locomotives. The club provided sets of rolling stock for the members to use. At the Diamondhead Steamup, they also have a set of rolling stock for attendees to use, to make it easier for those traveling great distances to save space in their car or if traveling by train to the event. (I left air out on purpose 'cause we know that’s not possible anymore). Many steamers are willing to share their rolling stock with others for running at other public events as well.

Where I’m going with this is that if more clubs made a couple of sets of generic rolling stock available, you wouldn’t need to waste shelf space for the stock, you would just need shelf space for the locomotives. If these same clubs could provide secure storage for members trains, to include locomotives, that would be a big help to those who have downsized as well.

Just a thought,

Scott