Large Scale Central

Eric - how are you?

Eric,

you and yours are you ok?

do you live on that island with the active vulcano?

I hope Eric sees this. But in case he doesn’t , I messaged him and he does not live on the big island. He is 300 miles away Oahu. He can’t even see it. He is in no danger unless the wind shifts and heads west then he may get ash. So as of the last few days he is all good.

Korm,

Thanks for your concern. Devon summed things up pretty nicely. We are safe from all but gas and ash, and then only if the wind shifts. Even then, it will be pretty diluted, though the “VOG” (volcanic fog) can irritate folks with preexisting lung conditions.

The activity in Kilauea is pretty amazing, but the reaction of the local communities affected is even more so. The folks are pragmatic; my reenacting buddy’s company and other tour companies are even using their trucks and helicopters in relief efforts, and folks that live near the lava stream or in the plume seem to know when it is time to get out! They know Pele the Fire Goddess can awaken at an time, and the flow of lava can be totally subterranean or, as it has now, break the surface. Over 200 years ago, Pele’s fury actually choked and covered the army of a rival to Kamehameha the Great in the Wars of Unification, and each generation has its story of loss and rebuilding on the slopes of Kilauea.

The best editorial I heard came from a kumu hula (teacher of hula) who, while not denying the destructive power and its impact on people’s lives, also reminded the interviewer that the volcano - and Pele - is a creative force, that the ash on the windshield was only 10 minutes old, and that the events of today will become the stories, chants, and hula of tomorrow.

I cannot say I would be that pragmatic, but the kumu lives there and has dedicated her life to preserving the art that Kilauea and its legends inspire, so I think it is a valid reference point.

For what it is worth - and because it is a cool shot - below is a picture of our living history group at the Jaeger Center overlooking Halema’uma’u on the evening of 1 May:

Thanks again for your concern! Please continue to send your prayers and well wishes - your “aloha,” if you will - the folks on Hawai’i Island!

Eric

glad to hear it, Eric, I have family going to the far island from there this week, they were concerned until looked at a map closely. Aloha my friend and hope nothing comes your way!

Thanks, Pete. Your family will have a great time, I am sure!