Large Scale Central

That may be too much smoke...

Got the Harbor Models smoke unit installed and wired into the G8 decoder. It may be producing more smoke than I want. However, I currently have it wired into straight 12vdc. Harbor Models suggests wiring in with the motor, which will vary the smoke for the speed of the engine. That’s my next step. Everything is working, though.

With that pprime mover, you cannot have too much smoke…you might need some flames too! It looks great!

2nd test with smoke unit hooked in with motor to vary amount of smoke…

Kool!

I say: GREAT!

I like the first one better. After all, the dragon won’t smoke when the motor isn’t running with the second version.

I may try sticking a resistor into the circuit to cut down on the smoke when it’s sitting still. I still have to go in and clean up the wiring.

If you cut that voltage back, it will also make the smoke unit last a lot longer. There’s several people that tried that unit running “flat out” for an extended time, and I remember at least 2 reports of melting stuff down.

You definitely have “smoke to spare”

Greg

I installed their smoke unit in a F-3 b unit . Did a thread on it here earlier . I ran it on a 12 volt battery and wired in a wireless on off switch . I had a lot of issues with it right from the start . It came with a defective fan (didn’t work) but they did replace it free . The real problem was the resistor they installed would work for a little while and then blow the fuse . I’d take it apart , install another resistor , it would work a couple more times then blow the fuse (4 amp) again , and repeat . I did it four times . I called them and he said that these smoke units are designed for boats that have alot more “air flow” around them . The ceramic wire resistor originally used would literately crumble . I still was determined to use it in my locomotive so I ended up using a piece of resistor wire from a cheap hairdryer . I cut the wire shorter , a little at a time , in my dark basement , looking to have it as hot as possible without seeing a glow. I was concerned about any possibility of it starting on fire as it is in a model I happen to like alot . Anyhow after a little experimenting I achieved no glow and a lot of smoke and running at 4 amps. I built another smoke unit made of aluminum and a much hotter, shorter heater wire and can run it on fog fluid and it really cranks out the smoke. Never let that one run dry or it WILL start on fire. I hope you have better luck with it than me .