Large Scale Central

Temporarily Rename My Engines

I am working on a project for a local museum for this fall season.

I will be using my 3 Bachmann Shays, 1 Bachmann Climax and 1 Accurcraft Goose, but would like to temporarily change the names only of all these to the local logging railroad name.

I know the 2 truck shays are not what they used, it was all 3 truck shays, and other rolling stock.

We/they do not have time or money to purchase the right power units this year.

The logging railroad is “The Little River Railroad”

Any suggestions?

Dennis

I am just a caveman, your modern technological world frightens and confuses me so pardon my ignorance but, are you asking for name suggestions or a method to affix those names?

Boomer K. MOGWAI said:

Dennis

I am just a caveman, your modern technological world frightens and confuses me so pardon my ignorance but, are you asking for name suggestions or a method to affix those names?

Method to make and affix those names temporarily.

Could you print up your new name on appropriately colored paper stock with a “frame” type outline of sufficient size to cover the current name? Then, using an appropriate adhesive, perhaps rubber cement or glue dots, cover over it. MS Word has a simple border option for surrounding text. You could also create a frame out of wood or plastic strip. You could skip the framing all together, but I think framing would look more “finished”.

This is the look I’m thinking of - tender name

I seem to remember that if you just apply rubber cement to one surface and attach the other piece before it dries then it will be readily removable. Whatever you do be certain to test the adhesive on similar surfaces or finishes to ensure that it does not attack the surface.

updated to add - Perhaps some type of two-sided drafting tape that is removable would also work.

Well in that case Dennis I do have a suggestion.

I have on several occasions used this to temporarily change a name or logo. Make your new names on styrene of appropriate size.

Lay the locomotive on its side and put a gob of Elmer’s white glue (not paste just the plain old school glue that was safe to eat thirty years ago). Wait for that to dry. Flip over repeat on other side. It will have an amazingly tough adhesion.

For removal lay locomotive on its side and put a little water so that it runs under the temp sign. Wait an hour or so and the sign should lift right off. A little washing and soap will remove the remaining residue without harming the original lettering.

I do not recommend just yanking the signs off as the hard glue may lift or damage the original stencil ink.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing what you decide on and the results.