Large Scale Central

Bachmann 4-6-0 chassis question

I searched the threads here, but cannot figure out the answer to this question.

I have a 2nd Generation Bachmann Big Hauler 4-6-0 that doesn’t run very well. I want to replace the chassis. I understand the annie chassis may not fit it (or will it?) If that is the case, will any or all of the chassis at this link - http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_69_671_669 - fit it, or do I need a specific chassis, and if so, how do I tell which one to order?

Needless to say, I’d rather use the annie chassis, if it’ll fit.

I would think that anyone of those chassis would fit. The Big Hauler body didn’t change much, except for added details. It’s basically the same as an Annie.

So, would the annie chassis fit? Without major mods?

The key word is ‘major’. It will take some modifications. Right now, the details of what they are escapes me. But I want to say, not sure though, that somewhere out there on the wild wide web there is a web page detailing the process, though for which years’ versions I do not know.

Okay, have a Big Hauler and an Annie up on a shelf about eye level. Are rather dusty from residing there a couple years.

Main difference visible from exterior appears to be in smokebox saddle; is narrower on Annie chassis and therefore smokebox part of shell is fuller at bottom.

Screw points under air tanks, under walkways, under cab, all look same.

Daniel,

The latest chassis will fit the earliest track powered boilers (gen2). I did just that several years ago. The only mod I had to do was shorten the air tanks because the Annie cylinders are larger. I have since converted that loco to battery/RC using the Revolution system (everything in the tender).

Yea, the air tanks are the gotcha.

Daniel

NMGRR has done the very mod you are speaking of many many times with no problems. The only thing is exactly what Joe said. Shorten the air tanks to fit and you are in business.

Make sure you are ordering the ones with the all metal linkage and mains. They cost more than the plastic but are well worth it.

You are going to be very pleased with the annie drives.

Back with pictures. Green is Big Hauler and Red is Annie. Now I’m not sure how much of saddle on Annie is part of frame and how much is molded to boiler shell.

Do kindly overlook the several years worth of dust and cat hair. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

The saddle is part of the smoke box/boiler and the steam chest is part of the cylinder assembly on the chassis. It fits either smoke box saddle.

Danial,

I have replaced four of my Big Haulers with the Annie chassis. What I did with the air tanks is remove the two screws from the rear of the tanks that hold them onto the running boards, moved the tank rearward, and reassembled. You’ll have to drill a new hole for the front mounting screw, lengthen the notch in the tank to fit. Basically your just moving the air tank back about 1/4 inch on the bottom of the floorboard.

One other area of concern is the Annie chassis have a second plug on the Engineer’s side of the switch at the rear. It’s for the back light. You’ll either have to notch the rear of the cab or remove the plug.

You’ll definitely like the Annie chassis better then the standard ones.

Adam

One other thing,

Because the Annies have finer details, you have three options for the pilot and braces.

1. use the standard pilot and braces.

2. purchase pilot rails and screws and use them with the Annie pilot. http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_623&products_id=8430 These are sold out, but what I did was to order them individually and also the screws.

3. use the Annie pilot and your old rails (braces). I drilled a hole the same diameter as the rail exactly between the two small holes in the Annie pilot where the Annie rails would mount.

Enjoy!

Adam