Large Scale Central

Prepping Aristo 332 brass for sale

Hello all, been 5 yrs since last post. If this post is out of line, please have webmaster delete it.

Orthopedic issues necessitate abandonment and sale of ground level trackage (raised an impossibility) Most track requires track pad cleaning and probably 1/3 of tie strips serviceable (Arizona sun). Would most in hobby want totally clean track, top & inside only, or the weathered look for live steam and/or battery? Do you think it better to sell track detached from tie strips? Also the Hillman (+ a few split-jaw) 332 clamps, weather look or brassy clean.

Thank you, Ted Nordin

if it’s weathered and not corroded, I would leave it. It’s simple enough to clean if you want it bright and shiny, but why risk the tie strips?

Taking it apart might have a high probability of damaging the tie strips beyond use. Note now it’s pretty hard to find replacement tie strips for Aristo, i.e. the factory ones.

Is this flex track or sectional track?

Oh, I would clean the clamps, a stainless wire brush on a dremel does a great job, at least get the “grooves”…

Greg

I would just sell as is. Clean off any dirt and debris with a brush or hose. Include the tie strips if they have any integrity at all or just sell the rails if they are totaly shot.

I expect top dollar will not be realized unless they really are like new, so i wouldnt sweat the details.

If it is sectional track, and the ties are not ready to crumble, a trip in the dishwasher is easy to do and gives good results… just don’t let the wife catch you ha ha.

Greg

Hey Ted, fellow AZ toasted person here. Where are you located and how much track, I could possibly assist you removing it .

As far as prepping the track for sale, rinse off the dirt , kill the scorpions , bundle it up on saleable lots (all the curves together) and post it in the for sale on here.

Pete, didn’t know I could sell here but I see know and will for the track. Your questions: 1) I’m in Sierra Vista, where are you? 2) First loop up and prepping it - looks to be approx 100", mostly 5" radius curves, 8 4’ ft curves, and 20-30’ straights 5’ & 3’. Also have some new long straights & 5 or 6’ radius deep in garage. 3) Wife and I decided to leave one track down to run this summer if Im able (50-50 at this time) Will let you know when ready to post to sale forum. PS: all this track has serviceable ties - maybe 3 yrs unpainted AZ sun. I know Greg E paints his, don’t know what type paint he uses.

Appreciate your input, Ted

We talk a good road trip too often, yet I’m not sure one has ever hit the road… So Pete, I’m on the way(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif) and my knees are still ok.

I painted my 10 yr old ties last year, exterior grade rattle can and sealed with a uv clear coat. If I remember correctly Greg uses AmourAll, the industrial size …(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Yours are probably just faded, none of the ties I pulled lately for my new bridges are crumbly and all still have flex…

Ted I am in Peoria, N.W. side of Phoenix, so a bit of a road trip for me, Looks like John C. may be heading your way, he is way closer. I will be looking when it gos for sale, may be interested in some of it. Good luck! Pete

Pete Lassen said:

Ted I am in Peoria, N.W. side of Phoenix, so a bit of a road trip for me, Looks like John C. may be heading your way, he is way closer. I will be looking when it gos for sale, may be interested in some of it. Good luck! Pete

What? I’m being dumped???

Seriously my help comes in short measured amounts with lots of breaks in between. While I can supplement others I can’t be the main force.

So I was looking to join the force, not be it.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)

I thought you were making the offer and I could tag along, if not then never mind.

I’m all SS and have no interest in the track.

Pete, a friend of mine here in Sierra Vista goes to Peoria quite often (1+ per month) to see his Grandkids and will take track & whatever up there if we can work a deal. Have a couple of wobbly bridemaster bridges for free if either of you wants.

John, I go to Tucson every Tues + other Dr visits. Would love to see your layout in person - if seen progress pics on large scale sites. My nephew lives south of Hwy in Corona de Tucson.

Sure, by the end of the summer I should have it ready for running. I have an arch bridge I started for a Mik Challenge, but the base plastic warped…still to complete and the fill trestle I’m building now.

There is no electricity on that side of the driveway, so battery or live steam. I have a ruby LS loco kit to build once I trust the track.

Right now my rattle snakes are making appearances … hard to plan around. Marvin is coiled up in the water trough waiting for an inquisitive nose … so perhaps cooler weather would be prudent …