Large Scale Central

Jackson & Sharp Window Glazing

The Bachmann Jackson & Sharp passenger coaches have transparent window glazing. I’d like to change my windows to a white, translucent, glazing. Can anyone point me to white plastic sheets that I can cut into strips to cover the existing clear windows?

How about something like Frosted Glass Spray Paint instead? Not certain if this particular spray is plastic compatible however.

I just took some sandpaper and roughed up the inside…

Bruce Chandler said:

I just took some sandpaper and roughed up the inside…

Same here. 400 grit works like a charm.

Jim Overby said:

The Bachmann Jackson & Sharp passenger coaches have transparent window glazing. I’d like to change my windows to a white, translucent, glazing. Can anyone point me to white plastic sheets that I can cut into strips to cover the existing clear windows?

Initial though is frosting just the toilet compartment window but looking again at the way this is worded it sounds like you want to do all the windows such as HLW’s Mack locomotive has all frosted windows.

Keeping in mind that I do not know the full details of either your intent or your cars;

Though sanding the back of clear plastic sounds like the most work it may well be the most practical as it can be done in place after either body or roof is removed.

Is less work than masking cars for frost spray with window transparency in place.

And I have sanded entire sheets of clear styrene for cutting in to clerestory window glass pieces.

Instead of frosting the lav windows on my scratch-built cars, I put clear medical tape on the inside of the lav windows. This looked more like the textured glass that as used in such applications.

For a white translucent plastic, I would look at the light diffuser sheets they sell at home improvement stores.

Try spraying the inside of your windows with Krylon clear coat. That gives them a frosted “glass” look, but doesn’t come out too opaque or white. You can vary the effect by adding additional coats if you want.

Chris

Certainly, not all coaches are the same, but the WW&F coach from jackson and sharp has clear glass in all the windows including the bathroom. However, it did have sun screens on all the windows. These could be modeled with paper and would be removable if you change your mind.

Eric Schade said:

Certainly, not all coaches are the same, but the WW&F coach from jackson and sharp has clear glass in all the windows including the bathroom. However, it did have sun screens on all the windows. These could be modeled with paper and would be removable if you change your mind.

Well, you aren’t supposed to use that bathroom in the station, at least that what the sign says. And trundling down the tracks at a blazing 13 MPH, no one is going to see much through that window, up that high off the ground. Unless you stand with your, um, ah, body pressed against the glass. In that case, you would deserve to be seen by whoever sees ya.

you aren’t supposed to use that bathroom in the station, at least that what the sign says.

That’s mostly because the drain runs right on to the tracks. Putting a pile on the track tends to gross out the people in the station when the train pulls out.
(As an aside, in the UK the restored/preserved railways use “Mk I” coaches which actually flush the toilets with water - onto the track. Modern stock has a holding tank [like a boat or RV] that has to be pumped out. The UK Government is considering making ALL railways install holding tanks - you can imagine what that will cost them.)

Anyway, back to the windows. I used brown paper with a toothpick glued to the end to represent a shade on most of my Accucraft coaches. The Business Car got a lace shade.

Jim

I did stained glass panels. This was a first attempt several years ago using paint. I will redo it at some point using ink washes to give a slightly transparent look.

I debated between frosted or stained glass for the toilet window. I decided on the stained glass but it did not turn out as good as I had hoped, but it is a done deal now. The technique worked very well. To make the leading I placed chart tape and a vinyl “C” on the inside of the window. To finish the preparation I painted the leading in using black enamel paint. For the glass I used red and gray craft-paint being careful to keep them in the correct sections. Once dry the chart tape and letter were removed. The bare spaces were painted with black paint and everything left to dry. Once the walls were painted lettered and weathered; the windows were installed.

Just an idea.