Large Scale Central

Upper Speaker mount for GP7/9

So I just got my first 3D printer. its a nice prusa MK3 and I cant say enough good things about it. So here is my first design, A speaker enclosure for the USA trains GP7/9 for the upper mount in the roof. It is designed to use a Visaton FRS 5 speaker with no grinding or cutting. I am really happy with the sound it is very loud and crisp thanks to the enclosure.

First mount the Adaptor to the body mounts with 3mm x 5mm thread forming screws

Next mount the enclosure wall section to the speaker mount using 4 3mm x 6mm screws

Now install speaker (with wires attached) making sure it sits in the recess so it is flush and install 2- 3mm x 6mm to secure. you can apply a bead of silicone around the deeper relief to seal the speaker if you want, also an option on both top and bottom of the wall section.

Next line up the speaker mount with the adaptor already mounted on the inside of the body. you will need to use 4 - 3mm x 10mm thread forming screws and bolt to adaptor. once mounted run your wires through the channel in the wall section and bolt on back cover with 4 - 3mm x 6mm screws. This is my first attempt at 3d printing and posting so I’m sorry if I’ve done things the long way. I’m sure I could have done this in one post but every time I added a picture it created a post. also files are on thingverse just search for dstubbs. you will need to rotate all files 90 deg on the X axis to lay flat not sure why fusion 360 does that. I’ll add pictures of this step later (forgot to take them on last install)

Dave, I would be interested in seeing a video of how this speaker/enclosure sounds after being mounted in the engine. I don’t like the thought of cutting the bottom to accommodate the Visatron speaker, but I’ve heard it’s a better sounding speaker. I just have a Phoenix speaker mounted at the bottom but would entertain an alternative without a lot of modification.

Dave, I would be interested in seeing a video of how this speaker/enclosure sounds after being mounted in the engine. I don’t like the thought of cutting the bottom to accommodate the Visatron speaker, but I’ve heard it’s a better sounding speaker. I just have a Phoenix speaker mounted at the bottom but would entertain an alternative without a lot of modification.

Hi Michael,

I’ll post a video but so you know I also have a mount done for the bottom (it’s my next post) that just gets hot glued or silicone down the tank and has the correct bolt pattern for the Visation FRS 8 speaker. with both top and bottom it sound awesome

quick vid running on DC power

IMG_1832 from Dave Stubbs on Vimeo.

and on DCC on the roller stand

IMG_1843 from Dave Stubbs on Vimeo.