Large Scale Central

Windows 10 and computer "hygiene"

all helpful information removed, per Alan and John I don’t own the thread, see my last post.

Is it available as an update ?

all helpful information removed, per Alan and John I don’t own the thread, see my last post.

What is Window 1709 ?

Sean McGillicuddy said:

What is Window 1709 ?

OMG! That’s my bookie at the track!

Hmmm I though that is what I did and it said 1709 version…Hmmm

OOOOOOoooooo So Stupid Stupid Stupid

So how do I/we ask for the 1803 build 17134.1 version ?

Greg

Windows usually pushes its updates automatically (at least for my account). Won’t they do the same with this one?

I checked my computer and was told up to date …is this a west coast / east coast thing / time zone etc. ???

Sean, I was told the same thing but I clicked the Check for Updates box and the update came up. It’s installing now and it is taking forever but it’s getting there …

Greg

Is there a Free virus protection program ?

That doesn’t say that the computer has 555 problems then charge you to fix them ?

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Is there a Free virus protection program ?

That doesn’t say that the computer has 555 problems then charge you to fix them ?

When I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10, during the free update period, I now have Windows Defender an anti-virus program provided free from Microsoft. Two PCs.

Seems to work fine for me, but I also keep my firewall on and never open email attachments that i’m not absolutely sure of. Also I don’t download freeware programs that, again, I’m not absolutely sure of.

Works for me.

Adam

I bought a new windows 10 machine last weekend, because my refurbished windows 7, upgraded to 10, machine started powering off for no reason, and it wasn’t the power supply. This machine, being a clean windows 10, runs so much faster then my other machine did. So, how do I keep this clean machine from getting all crudded up and slowing down.

Yes I have antivirus, AVG. I also run Maleware bytes and Super Anti Spyware every weekend. I have been doing that for years, just in case. Sometimes one program will find something AVG missed.

David Maynard said:

So, how do I keep this clean machine from getting all crudded up and slowing down.

Simple. Don’t use it!

However, I use CCleaner and run it on a regular basis, as does the other Greg. I also try to be very careful in what I download or software I use and I haven’t had any serious problems over the years.

Greg Elmassian said:

One of my hobbies is personal computers

You have a hobby?