Large Scale Central

Phoenix ROM format

Has anyone reverse-engineered the Phoneix ROMs? I have been thinking that it would be fun to make my own (my own voice on the radio chatter, for example).

I have found that I can open the files in Audacity and play all the samples, but the ROMs for various locomotives don’t seem to have a common index. Of course I could just insert my replacement audio into an existing ROM, but I’d rather be able to create one from scratch.

In case you want to play around with it in Audacity, use Import>Raw Data. Settings are 16-bit signed, big-endian, and 11,025 Hz.

Interesting! Just inserting replacement sounds could be cool. Might have to play with that.

I haven’t tried it, but it should work, provided there isn’t a checksum of some sort. The file does contain non-audio data, so I think you’ll probably have to do the replacement in a hex editor or from the command line if you’re on Mac/Linux). Since the audio data are big-endian, there is a chance that a raw export from Audacity would leave the other data intact.