Large Scale Central

bachmann Spectrum freight trucks

Disaster!

Among my rolling stock I have a Murphy roof boxcar, on delivery one truck was in pieces but was replaced by the dealer, no longer in business unfortunately. The side steps then failed but I replaced with some that I made. However today a second truck fell apart while in the middle of a consist and while I salvaged the bits of the sideframe from the ballast it is a complete loss. Bachmann only list a complete truck as a spare so I have sent a query to see if the sideframes are available as seperate items and I await their reply. A lovely model but expensive to just sit on the rip track.

Regards

David

This is a known problem with the Murphy roof boxcars. Bachmann will replace the trucks if you have your recepit

I had the same happen to me about 2 years ago. Didn’t know Bachmann would replace, but I’d had it for about 5 years so didn’t have the receipt still. Only the Murphy roof boxcars affected ? Hope so, just got the one thankfully. Fitted a pair of Accucraft trucks instead, only slight modification required. Sold the unbroken one on to someone in the same predicament. Hope it’s ok still.

From what Ive heard, it was one run of the Murphy roof boxcars. Some lead got into the metal mix for the trucks and strap steps, and that makes them incredibly brittle.

I talked to Bachmann in York about this problem.

There is one production run of Murphy roof Spectrum 1:20.3 boxcars that used a bad batch of metal in their castings. I have several of these on our railroad. If you have one of thee cars the metal stirrups will by now have broken off and if one truck goes it is highly likely the other will go in time. Using the parts from one truck to repair the other only buys some time as if one truck has gone both will go in time. (been there done that)

I have a lot of other Bachmann Spectrum 1:20.3 cars and no other cars have this problem.

If you have one of these cars contact the Bachmann service department. I am uncertain if they desire the parts back or a sales receipt but I was told that they are aware of the problem and will replace the broken parts.

Stan Ames

Thanks for the replies , seems as if this is a case of ‘Murphy’s Law’. Unfortunately the sales receipt is long gone but fingers crossed Bachmann will come up with a positive solution. I would have replaced both trucks with Accucraft ones but ccould not justify the expense.

Regards

David

Thanks to all for bringing this subject up. I have a lot of the Spectrum rolling stock and while I have not had these problems I have heard of it. Hope everyone gets the parts they need as they are nice cars and competitively priced against Accucraft.

Al Kramer has some trucks for sale on E-bay if you are needing complete sets.

One miscellaneous comment: Best thing is they are easily dismantled for painting or customizing.

Thanks for the information. I’ll try to contact Bachmann in the US. Regrettably I have disposed of the evidence, apart from the box car and box. Possibly there is a ref’ # on the packaging that will act as proof of the batch it came from. As I reside in the UK they may point me back at their British op’ co’ or claim under British “retail sale of goods act” the buck stops at the retailer and all claims mus go through there first. Now were did I buy it ? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. My 3 Woodland Scenics hobos ride in that car, looking out the open side door. It’s owned by the West Well Lumber co.

Guys

I went looking for replacements / sources and here is what I found:

Ozark Miniatures:

1:20.3 Fully sprung trucks (1066)
2 trucks enough for 1 car
Our Price : $55.61 ea set

http://www.ozarkminiatures.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=770

AP13-037 Trucks - 1:20.3 Gondola (2)
SKU: AP13-037
Price $76.00 pair

https://www.accucraftestore.com/product-page/trucks-1-20-3-gondola-2

Bachmann 1/20.3 Spectrum Die Cast Box Car Archbar Freight Trucks W/Metal Wheels NEW

Set of 2

$62.95

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bachmann-Spectrum-Die-Cast-Box-Car-Archbar-Freight-Trucks-W-Metal-Wheels-NEW/372005875170?hash=item569d472de2:g:A3IAAOSwCU1YrL7W

This last seller also has complete Boxcars for $54.95 ($5 difference in shipping)

Those of you overseas should check shipping rates before ordering. The USPS has changed its policy and prices significantly. Probably best to inquire on FEDEX and UPS.

Concerning Bachmann’s 1/20.3 Spectrum line.

Checking the Bachmann site the entire Spectrum line rolling stock is gone. They have a handful of tank cars on clearance if you consider +$100 a bargain. As rumored following discussions with their rep last summer at the NGRC they have discontinued those items. It was also mentioned that the Spectrum motive power will be phased out as Bachmann exits the Fn3 market. Too bad it had some great features.

Boomer K. MOGWAI said:

Concerning Bachmann’s 1/20.3 Spectrum line.

Checking the Bachmann site the entire Spectrum line rolling stock is gone. They have a handful of tank cars on clearance if you consider +$100 a bargain. As rumored following discussions with their rep last summer at the NGRC they have discontinued those items. It was also mentioned that the Spectrum motive power will be phased out as Bachmann exits the Fn3 market. Too bad it had some great features.

Boomer

Least any false rumors start or continue. As far as I know Bachmann has no intention of exiting the 1:20.3 market. Checking their web site, they currently have three types of 1:20.3 locomotives in stock and two different 1:20.3 Gramps tank cars in stock. They also have all the molds to produce anything from past production as needed.

The market for new items in the US is soft at the present time. I am confident that Bachmann will continue to produce products in Large Scale, including 1:20.3 when the market is ready.

The current glut of lower prices excellent used items in the market makes it difficult for manufacturers to produce new product which due to changes in production will cost more.

For example this week I purchased two good used Accucraft 1:20.3 cars at 1/3 the price of new ones. Makes it hard for manufacturers to compete in this market at the present time.

Stan

Stan, and that is what the Bachmann rep told me earlier this spring. They are finding it difficult to compete with the used market.

My thought is, that in a few years, when the used market dries up a bit, Bachmann will reevaluate the situation.

Ok Guys, an update.

I got a very swift reply from Bachmann spares department but unfortunately they just directed me to their website to view the parts available. The sideframes are not listed as seperate items just the complete trucks at $44 a piece. The truck supports and brake details are available but of course I do not need those. Seeing that the other truck is likely to give way before long I do not see $88 plus shipping, tax etc to be worthwhile. I shall therefore make my own replacements or look for an alternative. Thanks again for all the replies.

Regards

David

David

Your question likely confused them and you got the parts people rather then the warranty folks. The side frames are not available as a separate part. The entire track is replaced under warranty.

PM me the info on the name of the person you contacted and who responded. I will call on you behalf tomorrow and try to sort this out for you.

Stan

Thank you Stan, pm sent.

David

I called Bachmann US today and talked to Laura.

For warranty repair in the US you need to contact [email protected]. The parts folks sell items, the service folks deal with warranty and repair so you need to talk to the service folks if you do not wish to purchase parts.

They do have some Trucks and stirrups for the effected Murphy Roof box cars in stock. Normally the warranty is short for rolling stock but they are trying to help out their customers for these cars.

You need a dated sales receipt. They will try to work with you if you do not have one but that is their policy. Part of the reason for this is because with prior issues they sent far more replacement items then the number of items that were effected.

Being in the UK it is a tad more difficult. I would first contact service in the UK and explain the Bachmann US replacement policy for this product and ask that they contact the US if they have problems. Please also note that the replacement trucks, trucks sold as a product and other trucks in the Sprectrum LS line are not effected by this problem.

If they do not have the replacement parts then you can contact the US folks and they will try to work with you.

I was informed that when they discovered the problem in the US that they replaced all the trucks for product in stock so not all cars in the effected run have bad trucks.

Hope that helps

Stan

Thanks again Stan I will do as suggested and contact Bachmann UK first and see where we go. A receipt is a no go unfortunately as I did not keep it after Garden railway Centres replaced the truck broken on delivery. As mentioned before the retailer has retired and ceased trading so getting a duplicate is probably not on. i will update as and when I get any further.

Regards

David

I emailed one of the receipts I could find (for 18 of them). I was told that parts are in short supply but that they would send out six sets for the cars that I have that are broken.

david bunn said:

Thanks again Stan I will do as suggested and contact Bachmann UK first and see where we go. A receipt is a no go unfortunately as I did not keep it after Garden railway Centres replaced the truck broken on delivery. As mentioned before the retailer has retired and ceased trading so getting a duplicate is probably not on. i will update as and when I get any further.

Regards

David

Interesting David. Mine came from GRC/Andrew Steele too. Perhaps we can build a case if necessary, same batch, same UK shipping order, same retailer - high probability of faulty goods. Likewise no receipt kept and I binned the broken parts not realizing it was a warranty issue at the time. Just accepted it as one of those things. PM me if you think my experience might help you. The only proof I have now is the car on Accucraft trucks and its original box/packaging. Andrew didn’t put branded price labels on his goods, unlike GRS, which is the only other place I bought Bachmann Spectrum cars from.

Thanks Max, it is a shame that Andrew has ceased trading, a loss to the hobby as he was most helpful and it was a joy to visit him.

I contacted Bachmann Uk via their service form last night and although I have not, like you , got the receipt but I included a photo of the boxcar sans truck and showing the debris that I recovered from the ballast and I await their reply.

https://www.largescalecentral.com/filesharing/sh/file/8029/Z-jSDRRsCX

Regards

David

PS I seem to have a load of trouble uploading pics, any suggestions?