Large Scale Central

Hillcrest RR

Near Fresno, Ca. How many of you Cal folks have been to this “garden RR”.

http://www.hillcrestreedley.com/roster-equipment

I have not but I just put it on my bucket list for the next time I’m down that way. Looks pretty impressive!

We go there every year in October , been a 5 or 6 year tradition for my granddaughters birthday. I have looked at their website and for $250Large you can get an industrial strength locomotive like theirs . Will do 8 hours a day with no problems

Holy cow, that is awesome!

Reading about 57, the diesel-hydraulic; these folks truly think things well through, for example,

Final Installation of the dashboard and controls. The Throttle, brake valves and the Displacement (Forward-Reverse) lever are positioned identical to our steam locomotives so that engineers trained on the #57 can get into the cab of a steam locomotive and know instantly what’s-what and how to control the locomotive. This is also a safety matter as the brake valves on all engines, steam or diesel, are identical for fast action by the engineer without having to stop and figure out which is the train brake and which is the locomotive brake.

Here is the Hillcrest locomotive crossing the trestle walkway and about to enter the station. I will have to take some more when we are there in October

That’s cool, but why is that engineer taking a leak right there?

When ya gotta go, ya gotta go

Been there many times and one weekend in October the local branch of Early Day Gas Engine & Tractor Association sets up displays of old engines and tractors. I used to take my engines out there but haven’t for several years. They also host a Railfair usually in March where other 15" railroads bring in their equipment to run. Hillcrest also rebuilds other trains and has some 3’ gauge track for short runs. They have restored some of the original Retlaw coaches from Disneyland as well as other Disney related and not related trains.

There was a garden railroad that was operated on weekends but I have heard it has been removed.

Pete, let me know next time your going and maybe I can run down there.

Steve

Sure thing, Steve, our granddaughters birt is end of October so we are usually there towards the last weekend before Halloween