Large Scale Central

Aristo craft FA-1 Diesel

I have an Aristo craft FA-1 Diesel from Polks Hobbies. It’s the kind that has a track power/battery power switch which is convenient. I know that Polk’s are no longer in business. Is there another company that designs locos that way?

Thanks, Ewald

Many of the Bachmann Fn3/1:20.3 Spectrum range have this feature. Otherwise you need a means of separating or switching out the track pick ups/skates connected to the motors if you are going to run from on board batteries. That, or remember not to have any power going through the track when you run converted to battery what were formerly track powered models…and hope the track doesn’t get struck by lightning !

I did convert over to battery power an old Bachmann Big Hauler. I disconnected the pickup skates and put the battery and receiver in a trailing car. There wasn’t a lot of circuitry involved in that engine and it works fine. I’m looking for a diesel that I can convert to battery power that wouldn’t be too difficult to do. Any Ideas? I was thinking of converting my LGB F7A diesel AB unit but it looks to complicated for me at this time.

Literally, the question you ask “does someone else make a track/battery switch”, well the answer is no.

BUT

How effective that is on Aristo locos, and how consistent make it really worthless. Quite often the switch should have 2 positions described as:

Position 1: power goes from track to the loco’s motors and electronics.

Positon 2: an additional “battery connector” is PARALLELED to the existing power pickup system, i.e. flipping to battery just adds in the battery connector it DOES NOT disconnect the track pickups.

Aristo is FAMOUS for miswiring their locos, even within the same model there are wiring differences.

I normally remove and jumper around the wiring I don’t need… sometimes I “repair” the wiring, but it’s a big job to figure out.

Greg

I believe the word is; INFAMOUS

The trucks on the tender of my C-16 had both tangs pointed one way during wiring, then one truck was turned the other way when mounted, reversing the wiring …

Greg Elmassian said:

Literally, the question you ask “does someone else make a track/battery switch”, well the answer is no.

Greg, I am looking at the tenders/bunkers of my Bachmann C-19, K-27, Climax, 2-6-6-0 logging Mallet, new model 2-6-0 and Fourney, all have a little switch marked “track” on one end and “battery” at the other. Are you saying these do not isolate the pickups when switched to “track”, as the manuals state ? Can’t speak for all their other Fn3 locos, I know my old modesl 3 truck Shay, Connie, Heisler, 2-6-0 and Goose #1 do not have this feature. But, just asking. I grant you Bachmann are no longer in production with these items but some NIB examples are still to be had and probably plenty of little used “shelf queen” 2nd hand examples. Can you tell I like my Fn3 stuff ?

Max, you are right, the newer Bachmann stuff does often have a switch… although I thought it was limited to the K and the C. I have not tested these to be sure they isolate the track pickups, since most people that convert them to battery rip out all the existing wiring and sockets.

Much fewer wiring errors in Bachmann, and none systemic.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Max, you are right, the newer Bachmann stuff does often have a switch… although I thought it was limited to the K and the C. I have not tested these to be sure they isolate the track pickups, since most people that convert them to battery rip out all the existing wiring and sockets.

Much fewer wiring errors in Bachmann, and none systemic.

Greg

Seems that Bachmann and their retailers are guilty of giving out misleading information, as backed up in the printed product manuals, then. Looks like they are wide open to warranty and possibly some more serious legal claims on that one. Well, at least we all know now. You’d better get testing and give us the “all clear”.

Hi Guys, as Greg pointed out we have had a few electrical/isolation problems with the Aristo Craft track/battery switch in the SD-45, RDC and the steam locos. The workaround creates additional work when adding battery power.

I am pleased to report from my experiences the following Bachmann locos work as advertised.

New 2-6-0, C-19, K-27 (except for chuff trigger), Climax and Mallet. You can add a battery and use the track/battery switch as the selector. You still need a to add a switch/wiring harness to charge the battery if installed on-board.

Using the Revolution and AirWire Bachmann version for the makes the install plug N play. Then add Dallee or Phoenix sound.

Don