Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 20, 2018 10:51 PM EDT
      • Vail, Az

• Thanks

Gary Armitstead said:
      Sean McGillicuddy said:

Gary

Any update photo's of this awesome looking switch ?

Sean,

Thanks for asking.......I have been on "light duty" orders from the VA for the past six weeks! I "tore" a muscle (and severe muscle spasms) in my left hip (too much for a 74 year old :) )  and now going through "therapy" to repair. Stopped the turnout building right now! Hopefully I can get back to this turnout in a month or so and get it finished. I will build the second #5 switch using the full on "kit" and not do all the machining myself. Just too much work for the extra $425 I would "save". 

I also had a major computer crash about a month ago. The nice part about THAT was that I didn't lose any of the drawings or photos of THIS project or the build of the Super Husky critter or Baldwin electric projects.....ALL 1/8th scale. Back up....Back up....Back up! :)

Sorry to hear of your owie. I pray you heal quickly.

John

The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

• September 12, 2018 9:42 AM EDT
      • Easton , Massachusetts

• Thanks

Gary how is the recovery going ?

PT is also called personal torture .. You're doing well I hope .

Sean

My u-tube

The light in the tunnel might not be an engine , but a light in the caboose of my own train on my Roundy Round Rail Road !    My empire is complete...I think...

• September 13, 2018 12:02 AM EDT
      • Burbank, CA

• Thanks

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Gary how is the recovery going ?

PT is also called personal torture .. You're doing well I hope .

Sean

Hey Sean....thanks for asking :). as a matter of fact, I have been back at it building the turnout for the past week or so. But not nearly the pace I was going before the muscle acted up :(. I'm working on the last few ties and drilling the base of the rail for track screws. Long and tedious process. Using gauges to keep the track in place and at proper gauge. I drill though the rail base right into the plastic tie. Once the ties and rail are "match drilled", I will then dis-assemble the entire turnout and drill the ties for the hole size for the #10 screws. Then assemble for good! Yeah, that will be a day to celebrate. Randy Lehrian (posts here on LSC) emailed me in July to say he had bought two #5 turnouts (RH and LH) in the full kit form and had one turnout unboxed and assembled and complete ready to use on his living room floor in less than 90 minutes. That made me "cringe" and I then decided that I would build my next turnout from a full on kit :)! Don't get me wrong....this was a great building experience and it was the first turnout in ANY scale, I have ever made. I guess I enjoy a good challenge. Now I know I can do it! I get some photos and post them here in a day or so.

• September 13, 2018 9:04 PM EDT
      • Strattanville, PA

• Thanks

Sorry to hear about your hip problems Gary.  Glad to hear you're beating the issue and getting back at it.  You've definitely been an inspiration to me and I don't know that Id have any 7.5" track down at this point if it werent for your tantalizing threads on the subject.

Yes your switch really looks nice but the process you went through to get there looks near sisyphean. when I received my switch,  I threw the boxes of parts on the living room floor ripped them open and started following the instructions.  After a bit it was ready to drag out to the yard.  I haven't had a bit of trouble with it despite all the grass growing up though it, but that is another story.  I really need to start a thread on my 7.5" adventures but this has just been a busy year with some big projects at the new house. They should be wrapped up by winter making next year,   "The year of railroading"

Switch

This post was edited by Randy Lehrian Jr. at September 14, 2018 4:32 AM EDT

forum sig

• September 13, 2018 9:19 PM EDT
      • Vail, Az

• Thanks

That switch looks right at home, even if it's the left.

John

The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

• September 13, 2018 10:19 PM EDT
      • Burbank, CA

• Thanks

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:

Sorry to hear about your hip problems Gary.  Glad to hear you're beating the issue and getting back at it.  You've definitely been an inspiration to me and I don't know that Id have any 7.5" track down at this point if it werent for your tantalizing threads on the subject.

Yes your switch really looks nice but the process you went through to get there looks near sisyphean. when I received my switch,  I threw the boxes of parts on the living room floor ripped them open and started following the instructions.  After a bit it was ready to drag out to the yard.  I haven't had a bit of trouble with it despite all the grass growing up though it, but that is another story.  I really need to start a thread on my 7.5" adventures but this has just been a busy year with some big projects at the new house. They should be wrapped up by winter making next year,   "The year of railroading"

Switch

Wow, that really looks nice Randy. Yeah, I'm going the full kit route next time :)! I hate to add up the hours I have in my switch AND I'm not even finished yet! Looks just right next to the tree. Next year, setup a short piece of track and everyone can ride AROUND the tree and not UNDER it :).

• September 14, 2018 7:10 AM EDT
      • Easton , Massachusetts

• Thanks

Ya I had to lookup " Sisyphean" .

My u-tube

The light in the tunnel might not be an engine , but a light in the caboose of my own train on my Roundy Round Rail Road !    My empire is complete...I think...

• September 14, 2018 11:19 AM EDT
      • Strattanville, PA

• Thanks

John Caughey said:

Don't worry John, Righty will get his day too. But if I used him now it would sent the flat car full of grocery's to the pasture instead of the back door!

Gary Armitstead said:
       Next year, setup a short piece of track and everyone can ride AROUND the tree and not UNDER it :).

Hum,  I'm not sure this stuff would negotiate 4 foot radius.  But I do have some huge spruce tree out in the yard that would look great with some lights on them and 25' diameter track under them....

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Yeah, I feeling a real kinship with that fella this year.

forum sig

• September 14, 2018 12:11 PM EDT
      • Easton , Massachusetts

• Thanks

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:

Gary Armitstead said:

Next year, setup a short piece of track and everyone can ride AROUND the tree and not UNDER it :).

Hum,  I'm not sure this stuff would negotiate 4 foot radius.  But I do have some huge spruce tree out in the yard that would look great with some lights on them and 25' diameter track under them....

You could make a large fake LGB starter  controller

This post was edited by Sean McGillicuddy at September 14, 2018 3:11 PM EDT

My u-tube

• September 14, 2018 3:10 PM EDT
      • Burbank, CA

• Thanks

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:
      John Caughey said:

Don't worry John, Righty will get his day too. But if I used him now it would sent the flat car full of grocery's to the pasture instead of the back door!

Gary Armitstead said:

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Yeah, I feeling a real kinship with that fella this year.

Yeah, I HAD to look it uo too..........But unlike Syphyus, THIS WILL be completed :)! I promised myself that......AND also the grandchildren (they are watching this closely :))

• September 19, 2018 12:14 AM EDT
      • Burbank, CA

• Thanks

My "old body" has healed up as good as it's going to get and I'm back at the turnout build. Finally on the final assembly and installation on my railroad is "just around the corner" :). All the rail has been drilled and the ties have been "match-drilled" and the switch has been "temporarily assembled" to check gauge, operation of the points and geometry of the frog. That proved to be correct, so now I am drilling the ties with a correct "tap" drill for the #10 X 1 inch long stainless steel track screws. I drilled the "clearance" holes for the screws in the aluminum rail. There are a total of 162 screws holding the turnout together.

I took these photos a couple of hours ago showing the final assembly. First two photos showing the entire turnout and the "tail track" for the siding off to the right. The switch at this point is about 12-13 feet long from the point end to the other end of the tail track.

I believe Sean was asking aboiut how the frog attaches to the turnout and the closure rails. These close up photos show how the frog is attached to the ties and the closure rails. It's a very substandial and sturdy assembly. There will be 500 pound locomotives going through this along with 150-200 pound rolling stock.

The small brass screws were used for the "temporary assembly" only. As I go down the line of ties, the small screws are removed and the #10 X 1 inch replace these in the final assembly. You can see the larger screws at the right of the photo in the rail and into the tie below. The Makita battery power driver has really saved the hands from blisters. That and mechanics gloves! :)

A day or two more and it gets placed on the ground. It will be interesting to see how much this weighs. I'm figuring about 50-55 pounds. The last thing to do is install the scale model switchstand on the two longest ties near the points.

This post was edited by Gary Armitstead at September 20, 2018 10:08 AM EDT
    • September 19, 2018 6:35 AM EDT
      • Easton , Massachusetts

• Thanks

That came out so sweet!

Getting there....

My u-tube

Forums Modeling Other Scales

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google