Large Scale Central

Grandt Line Products Shuttering

Just saw the announcement on their web site. No more orders after May 1 and hoping to close in June …

That sucks. But not too surprising – the number of products available has been decreasing for a while.

Dammit, there goes a good source of windows.

Chris Kieffer said:

Dammit, there goes a good source of windows.

Very true, but I don’t know how they can compete with 3D printers.

The hobby is always changing.

Lets see, the guy that used to be at the ECLSTS with them pewter brake wheels wasn’t there the past couple of years. Now Grandt line is closing, so no more Grandt line brake wheels.

Well, I guess I could keep using nylon snaps.

Or, find somebody with a 3D printer, you can get a very nice one on Thingiverse.

Nice snap, btw.

Our “Gilbert” (GLX) who advertises on LSC in the appropriate area, has brake wheels now… and is willing to make any type you want, just send him a sample…in plastic only.

Fred Mills

David Maynard said:

Lets see, the guy that used to be at the ECLSTS with them pewter brake wheels wasn’t there the past couple of years. Now Grandt line is closing, so no more Grandt line brake wheels.

Well, I guess I could keep using nylon snaps.

Well apparently your nylon straps are still working for you cause if they were not you would have purchased multiples of brake wheels from the now deceased manufacturers years ago

What do you mean nylon snaps? Where do you get them? I lose brake wheels all over the place and these look just fine.

Rooster, I did. I have a stash of the pewter ones, and the Grandt line ones, and the USA Trains ones, but the USAT ones are a bit small.

John, I got the nylon snaps at JoAnne Fabrics. There are also metal snaps, but the nylon ones looked more like brake wheels to me when I was shopping for parts.

Brake wheels…Epoxy putty or Milliput mold…pour in resin…?..(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

I hope that another established producer picks up the Grandt Line product line. Not only in G, but in all scales they have been around for quite some time and should fit somewhere in another manufacturer’s line.

As far as I know Ozark still has white metal brake wheels.

Chris I am with you, I hate when these manufacturers close in a lurch and don’t try and provide their products to another business who can carry on the line as it just ends up hurting the hobby.

that guy is either broke, old or bored. - all good reasons to leave an activity behind.

welcome to reality, gentlemen.

All good reasons for him to get out of it and that’s fine but be nice if he offered his product line to someone else to continue it.

As I recall the old gentleman died a decade ago and his family continued with the business. Without the passion for trains (that I read in your posts) it quite possibly was just another job.

How do you know they didn’t try and get something for it? How long does tooling last? Was it paying the bills? I’d want these answers before casting a judgement call.

I’ll miss them and wish them well.

Well stated John. And I believe I remember reading the same info that Cliff had passed and the family was going to continue on.

Yes, tooling dies have a useful life span, and modelers know when the life span has been exceeded…when the flash on the moldings becomes excessive. As for the other questions, I only have opinions, and will not start flame wars voicing them.

Folks need to consider that as Jon mentioned above, technology is marching forward and the equipment to generate one’s own custom parts for the models he is building is both available and now within the price range of modelers. The market is shrinking, regardless of what the manufacturers say. No new products from most of the manufacturers speaks volumes of the economic condition of the hobby as a whole, not just large scale.

Grandt Line will leave a void in all scales that will be hard to fill. They will be missed.

I have used their products on all of my building one way or another. I hate to see them go also.Maybe Colorado Model Products will pick up the products since they are similar. A lot of companies have shut their doors since the recession of 2008.

Yes, its sad to see so many companies dry up and blow away.