Large Scale Central

Information Needed

I thought I would ask all of the wise and experienced railroaders here.

I collect lanterns. There is one I am looking to buy that is marked “R.H.P.” and may be from Pennsylvania. Any ideas what these letters stand for?

I have several reference books on Railroads and Lighting, and this is not listed anywhere. Also did Google Search, nada.

My first thought was maybe the letters are worn and it’s RFP but then I saw the one you are talking about. My guess is that it’s not a railroad but a company that served the rail industry. I found RHP Bearings but they were incorporated in 1969. Could also be just a one off gift for some guy with those initials.

Dan scrambled my alphabet … oops

Lou,

It might help if we had an idea of the age, manufacturer and type of lantern you are looking to identify.

Ken

I think that is what he is trying to find out.

Kenneth Matzick said:

Lou,

It might help if we had an idea of the age, manufacturer and type of lantern you are looking to identify.

Ken

Armspear Manufacturing “Steel Guard” model 1925. I believe he knows this. Just wants to know what R.H.P. stands for.

Why do you think it is a Pennsy railroad? You might need to check railroads of other states. I have my grandfather’s lantern and I lucked out that it was a northern Wisconsin railroad primarily. Some might get confused when doing research because it’s terminus was Minnesota but it was not considered a Minnesota railroad.

Is it possible that the railroad was based in another state?

And I agree it may note be a railroad lantern. I have one “railroad” lantern that actually was a construction lantern from a gas company.

Dan, is there a post on another forum? How did you know it’s made by Armspear?

Greg

Ebay… $29.00

Ahh… the link in the first post would have helped ha ha…

Yeah, a short globe variety.

Greg

Yes, it is an Armspear Model 1925 and the seller is from Dillsburg, PA. It might be from Central Pennsylvania.

Or, it might not be. I have not been able to Google up anything from R.H.P.

Might it be from some “Power Company”? (The P)

Reading Harrisburg Power?

Reading Harrisburg Pittsburgh?

Reading House of Pizza

Well, buy it, then tell folks that the first person who correctly identifies what company owned it (R.H.P.) gets $5. Eventually you will find out.

Right Handed Protocol

Hmm, it is NOT marked “1925”. It still could be that model, or it could be No.3 Double Guard, according to “The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Railroad Lighting Volume 1.”

So, did you get it? It seems Armspear made very few different model. http://www.railroadiana.org/lanterns/pgLanterns_Armspear.php

Did you happen to notice the extra vent holes on the chimney? I wonder why? may be a clue?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/wDQAAOSw4aFanJxn/s-l1600.jpg

Nope. Outbid by 2 others.

I was able to find one that had the same holes in the top, but the bottom was slightly different.

Greg