Large Scale Central

USATC S160 5197

I know some folks here run an Aristo S160.

This is a video (not mine) of 5197 running on my local Heritage line. She started running last week and will stay, as a line visitor, until Springtime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqWEIOpi60Y

This picture shows here running light with Lyme Bay as a backdrop.

[​IMG]

OK, so those are Baldwins made for use in Europe in WWII.

How close are they to the Aristo model?

At least the basics look pretty close.

Greg

If memory serves me correctly Greg, then I believe comments about the S160’s on the Aristo Forum were reasonably complimentary - as far as model accuracy was concerned. One particular debate seemed, at the time, to centre upon the amount of ‘daylight’ beneath the boiler.

I remember that for sure… funny the people complaining did not do their homework very well, and went silent when pictures of the prototype with lots of “daylight” showing through were posted.

Like Bachmann, their last steamer was one of their best, although it had awful gauge problems, but that was par for the course on Aristo.

Greg

There was quite a brou ha ha about the daylight under the boiler, from the misinformed and their preferences …

As I remember Aristo offer it in Army paint, because it did have war ties and would/could open a side market.

A nice video, which I have seen before, Joe. That is the line is spent fifteen or more years on as a volunteer. I gave it up a couple of years ago. With a favourable wind I can hear the locos starting away from that wayside halt.