Large Scale Central

help needed resizing freight shed photos

how do I resize photos from freight shed? I got one to post progress on my tower skidder, but when I post the pictures they are big enough to spot from the moon lol. thanks

I am using Microsoft Photo Editor. They stopped issuing it with Office in 2011, so you have to go back to install it. It’s easy because when you choose “Resize” 2 of the choices are Large or Small Web.

Looks like you have to get it from Office 2010.

I use a free program; FastStone Image Viewer

You can do it right here on LSC before you post the pic.

When you insert the pic, a window pops open that allows you to set the size.

Do it here and your shed fills up faster. I resize in my PC saving full resolution for special occasions.

It’s also suggested that 800 be in the first box, making it easier for folks with a slower connection.

IrFanView… free, been recommended numerous times.

Remember there are TWO “sizes” associated with a jpeg file…

“Physical size” in pixels (the little dots that make up the picture)… that’s the first step, tone it down to 800 x 600 for this site.

Next is “storage size”… naturally when reducing the physical size, the storage size goes down… but you can shrink the storage size (which is what your freight shed goes by) by altering the “quality” or “compression”.

Many programs do not let you play with this, IrFanView does, it’s free and powerful and fast.

Greg

You can do it right here on LSC before you post the pic.

When you insert the pic, a window pops open that allows you to set the size.

John, that only sets the display size on the LSC screen. The photo stays as big as it was when you uploaded it.

Sometimes it is good to upload a large photo - viewing folk can click on it and see the full-size image and appreciate the details. However, it will fill up the storage space quickly if all your photos are large.

You can tell your camera to take small photos, but that’s a pain when you are constantly changing settings. If you have Miscrosoft Office, there’s a useful Picture Manager included with it, with the capability of resizing a whole bunch of photos at the same time.

Greg Elmassian said:

I second Greg’s choice. I resize all my pictures physically by using the resize feature and selecting 640X480. No matter what I crop it to I select this, and that makes it a nice physical size. Then when I “save as” it pops up a window with a percent slider bar and I slide that down to 25 which compresses the picture. Ends up making a nice size file that still displays just well. then it saves room in the freight shed.

Pete, I don’t believe the Microsoft picture manager gives you direct control of quality/compression, only size in pixels.

Greg

I use a free photo editing software called Paint.net If you download it be sure to get it right from their site.

I resize my photos to a 500x333 for landscape and a 333x500 for portrait and then upload the resized photo to the freight shed. When naming them be sure not to leave any spaces between the words.

it has worked pretty good for me.

I simply use Paint that comes with Winders. You can resize based on pixels and I just set the higher of the two values (horizontal/vertical) to 800 and let Paint maintain the aspect ratio which sets the other value correctly and then do a Save As and give it a name. Reduces a 11 MB photo down to 265 KB.

IRFANview… Its FREE…quite good…siize in pixels…percentages inches etc…

Aaron asked to how to resize from his freight shed.

I like to upload mine to FB and here in the larger format that I took them with the camera or iPhone.

Greg Elmassian said:

Pete, I don’t believe the Microsoft picture manager gives you direct control of quality/compression, only size in pixels.

Well, there’s a “Compress Pictures” option on the “Picture” menu which gives you a choice of 3 or 4 presets. But I never use it, as reducing size is usually enough for me.
If I want to get serious, I have Adobe Photoshop Elements, which has all the bells and whistles you might need. (One feature I use a lot is the ability to ‘lighten’ a dark picture. See the 2 attached.)

Yeah, I like the control to get it where I want it… often I am just slightly over the number of bytes allowed, so only a little compression is necessary.

IrFanView has a slider for the compression, it’s fast and easy. I use the full blown Photoshop too, but takes much longer to come up and for a quick picture I have 90% of what I need.

Normally I use the Picture manager alone too, I have the 2010 version, which is I believe the last version. The problem with the compression in it is that it’s just 4 settings, with no real numbers or values: (by the way one of the settings is “no compression” so you really only have 3 settings: Documents, Web Pages, or E-mail messages… pretty worthless.

IrFanView also has a plugin where you can set the file size, which can be a real boon for a site that has a pretty low “hard limit” on file size.

Anyway, I use these 3 tools, and agree that the great feature on the Picture Manager is the “Auto Correct” which is really a contrast enhancer… I only wish you could use it multiple times… often I do it, close, open the file, do it again, etc. But Picture Manager opens so quickly it’s not really a huge pain.

Greg

I use picasa which is no longer supported. Figures, because it is really handy for viewing my photos on my computer and it was free. I can export photos any size i want. It puts them in a seperate folder so they are easy to find and i dont loose the high resolution version. Tnere are probably other programs that do the same thing but i guess i am too old to learn new tricks…probably will have to though as they obsolete my computer!

Free never lasts forever. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif)

Greg Elmassian said:

Free never lasts forever. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif)

Greg Elmassian said:

Sorry, I’ll be more specific for you: free storage or services never last… Photobucket, Picasa, etc, that actively use resources that SOMEONE has to pay for.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Sorry, I’ll be more specific for you: free storage or services never last… Photobucket, Picasa, etc, that actively use resources that SOMEONE has to pay for.

Greg

Well Greg

Some folks did “PAY” for storage on Photobucket however they decided to get greedy and not allow 3rd party hosting. Besides most of those sites rely on ads to keep them rolling as you already know.