Large Scale Central

Where to buy tin for crimping?

I have one of those rollers that crimp tin/aluminum to make it look like corrugated metal but where does one buy the tin?

I want to give my build challenge tipple a tin roof but I’m not looking forward to cutting up a pile of aluminum cans. I have searched around at local hardware/ building stores and keep coming back to flashing but even the thinnest is still too thick for my crimper which is designed for paper.

Thoughts?

instead of cutting up soda or beer cans, you could cut up alu baking forms. they are easier to cut.

Todd Haskins said:

I have one of those rollers that crimp tin/aluminum to make it look like corrugated metal but where does one buy the tin?

I want to give my build challenge tipple a tin roof but I’m not looking forward to cutting up a pile of aluminum cans. I have searched around at local hardware/ building stores and keep coming back to flashing but even the thinnest is still too thick for my crimper which is designed for paper.

Thoughts?

Micromark? https://www.micromark.com/Tin-Plated-Steel-Sheet-008-Inch-Thick-x-4-Inches-Wide-x-10-Inches-Long-Pkg-of-6

McMasterCarr? https://www.mcmaster.com/#tin/=1bdyo1s

Todd, I use steel shim stock from McMaster Carr: https://www.mcmaster.com/#steel-shim-stock/=1be12lo . I use the 0.002" thickness and the paper crimper works fine.

Todd: I don’t have the crimper, I built the roller dies. I found that the steel shim stock was to hard of a temper to work with, but you might try annealing it.

I use .0015 annealed Aluminum for Taylor Tin.

I have a bunch already made if you need some. PM me.

Dave

Todd, I work at a printing company so I have access to used aluminum printing plates. I anneal them with a torch. I could get some for you if you are ever in RI. Unfortunately, being aluminum they don’t rust.

Dennis

Dave Taylor said:

Todd: I don’t have the crimper, I built the roller dies. I found that the steel shim stock was to hard of a temper to work with, but you might try annealing it.

I use .0015 annealed Aluminum for Taylor Tin.

I have a bunch already made if you need some. PM me.

Dave

I’ve been contemplating building a heavy-duty crimper using toothed bar stock and assorted parts for the bearings and crank.

Todd

I use the bottom of those disposable turkey roasting pans with my paper crimper. I works fine and removes any rolled in brand name and such. It can be “rusted” with a rusting paint kit.

Aluminum shim stock. .002. sold by the roll from Amazon or MacMaster Carr.

Bob, you can get what is called “Gear stock”, (I think–I’m old). Anyway, comes in various lengths, widths, etc. so you wouldn’t have to cut it and various teeth sizes.

All,

Can you suggest what to use as a crimping tool for making the corrugated roofing.

Thanks,

Ken

Kenneth Matzick said:

All,

Can you suggest what to use as a crimping tool for making the corrugated roofing.

Thanks,

Ken

You can find paper crimpers at most craft stores. Google “paper crimper” and you will see many. They work well with very thin aluminum such as from a beer can but the problem is you have to drink lots of beer… or soda and then it is labor intensive and dangerous to cut the can up and that is why I was looking for a source to buy a roll or flat panels of light metal that would work in the crimper. A few guys have built their own crimpers that will take a piece of flashing which is ideal.

It takes a surprising amount of “tin” to clad even a medium sized building.

This is the one I use…

Fiskars crimper at Walmart

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ken

Best source for free crimping material is one’s favorite carbonated beverage can. Tools required - small lock back utility knife (Harbor Freight), small jeweler’s tin snips (Hobby Lobby), small square (min is 6"), straight edge (12"), and a pocket scribe (https://www.generaltools.com/mini-pocket-scriber). I also recommend finding a toaster oven that will do 500 degrees at a garage sale, I don’t believe the significant other till appreciate annealing the cans in the kitchen oven. I also use one similar to this https://www.thepaintstore.com/Marshalltown_Sponge_Float_p/4412.htm and a piece of 3/4" diameter copper pipe to back roll the cans after I cut them open.

The process I follow is: First I cut the side of the can top to bottom with the utility knife. Next I cut the top and bottom of the can off using the tin snips. Here is where I use the spackle sander and pipe to back roll the can stock to flatten it out some. Get the can to stick on the spackle sander curl up and roll across the pipe. Once I flatten the can stock some I place them in the toaster over (they can be stacked loosely) and ‘cook’ on 500 degrees for about an hour. This will anneal the aluminum making is softer and easier to run through the crimper. Once annealed, I recommend sanding the label side with sandpaper to give some tooth for the adhesive you will use later to attach to your structure.

Your edges will be somewhat ragged and not too straight at this point. Take the long straight edge and your scribe and using fairly stout pressure scribe a line along one long edge of the can. Fold and back fold along this line until the can snaps, leaving a nice straight edge. Measure what will be the length of your panels from the clean edge and duplicate the process. Now use the 6" square and one of the straight edges and square one end of the material. Measure the width of your panels and repeat the scribing process to generate your ‘blank’ panels. Last step is to corrugate the panels with the crimper.

Hope this helps, and by the way, all of these processes are great brain dead stuff for in front of the TV. I have been known to cut up 50 cans in an evening watching the boob tube.

For what it’s worth, I use a Gill Mechanical Co. paint tube ringer, which I use for work anyway, and pop cans. Or beer cans when the boys leave their empties in the alley behind my gallery in the morning, if the scrappers don’t get to 'em first. I like the beer cans because the preferred breakfast is 16-oz Budweiser or Pabst Blue Ribbon, so they’re bigger than pop cans.

John Caughey said:

e

I like a man of few letters.

I recall having seen rolls of lightweight metal sold as flashing at my local hardware store. Not sure if it’s galvy or aluminum, but it’s fairly light gauge either way.

Here is 4" x 50’ aluminum on Amazon for $13:

https://www.amazon.com/Amerimax-66004-Aluminum-Roll-Flashing/dp/B000H5RSN0/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1517673859&sr=1-4&keywords=aluminum+flashing

The material sold on Amazon is aluminum valley flashing made by Amerimax. Digging in their on line catalog they do not list the material or temper. My best guess will be that it is 6061-T6 alloy, for it’s strength and durability. I have emailed the company with a request for material and temper, we shall see if they respond. If my assumption that this is a T6 temper is correct, it would be wise to anneal this before crimping as the high temper could cause cracks at the stress points as it is rolled through the crimper.

As for galvanized, for those interested, the also make a galvanized product as well. They list the galvanized as 32 gas. I was unable to find a listing on the interweb for 32 ga, but did for 31 ga. Extrapolating the information, 32 ga galvanized steel flashing will be .0134" thick, and Amerimax product number is 70004. It is listed at the same 4" X 50 feet