Large Scale Central

coupler compatability

B

I need some help on coupler compatibility. I have a number of Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 consolidations and I want to use them to pull both My Bachmann Spectrum Rolling stock as well as all my AMS Accucraft rolling stock. What coupler do I use on the consolidations to get them to mate at the same height of the Accucraft rolling stock couplers. Bachmann does not have any step up couplers, only step down couplers. I don’t want to use Kadee couplers as I would have to convert all my rolling stock to them and that would mean over 50 cars. I have more Accurcraft cars than Bachmann cars, and Have purchased more Accucraft couplers to use on the Bachmann cars.

So what couplers is everyone else using on their Connies with Accucraft cars.

Oh and on a side note. The 1:20.3 Bachmann sprectrum 2-6-0 Industrial loco looks real stupid pulling an Accucraft Jackson & Sharp Passenger car. Its small size makes it look like its 1:32 scale. I never realized how small it was until I took it out of the box. Most likely will sell it as it would look funny pulling my rolling stock. At least the original 4-4-0 and 2-6-0’s look fine with the Spectrum and Accucraft Rolling stock…

Dan

I initially installed Kadee 820’s on my loco’s and rolling stock, since they worked well with what the guys in Ottawa (OVGRS)were using. Unfortunately they ended up being to small for the bigger AMS and Spectrum couplers that some of the other guys were using. I replaced the couplers on my locos with the Kadee 906’s. They are a bit bigger then the 820’s but a bit smaller then the AMS couplers. I had no uncoupling problems after that. All my rolling stock is still equipped with the 820’s.

I have a Bachmann 2-8-0 “Connie” and both Accucraft and Bachmann Fn3 cars. I use combination of Accucraft and Bachmann couplers on the rolling stock. The Connie is ‘in the shop’ for upgrades but when it was running I struggled with the same issues. I never did anything with the front (left the dummy in place). For the rear I used the included Bachmann coupler and did my best (at the time) to shim the tender floor to get the coupler height close. It ended up addiing extra space at the rear to line them up, but it’s not a straight line… Not my best work so it will be re-worked before the loco goes back in service. Here are some very old pics…

Dan,

link for how I put Accucraft couplers on my c-19.

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/24810/accucraft-couplers-on-bachmann-c-19/view/post_id/298401

AL P.

I am also running a mix of rolling stock with Bachmann locos. I mix and match Bachmann Spectrum, AMS Accucraft and Kadee 830 all the time. My K27, Connie and C19 all have the spectrum couplers on the tender at whatever height (actually pretty close to Kadee ‘G’ gauge height) Bachmann located them at the factory, and I have not had any issues running on the club layout where track work is not ideal. The face of the couplers are all close to the same height (Kadee the smallest if memory is correct). The only buggaboo I have is when coupling AMS cars to Bachmann cars, one must close the Spectrum coupler first, then couple the AMS to the Bachmann, otherwise I don’t believe the AMS gets completely locked in, and occasionally I get an unwanted disconnect.

A Side note of interest may be that Kadee 830 couplers and boxes are interchangeable with Bachmann Spectrum couplers and boxes. I am at work now, but will post some pics later this evening to demonstrate that. I don’t have any pics, but I have found that the Bachmann Big Hauler couplers will also play well with all three above mentioned couplers with the caveat that the Big Hauler couplers must match center line with Kadee 830/AMS Accucraft/Bachmann Spectrum. Not particularly advocating … just sayin’.

And later in the day…

Kadee Coupler Box with Spectrum Coupler

…and Kadee Coupler in Spectrum Box

I am not sure why the Kadee coupler is off, but they track on the club layout with out issue, and our track work is not ideal

Bump for edit