Large Scale Central

Aristocraft PCC motor needed

My Aristo PCC trolley, with relatively few operating hours, seems to have a failed motor in the rear truck. It was laboring on the track, and clearly the rear truck wheels were not turning

I removed the rear truck cover, popped out the motor, and applied 12V DC to the two wire terminals into the motor. That resulted in the lights operating, and the front truck wheels rotating, but the rear motor was still.

Any thoughts on where to get a replacement motor?

Thanks

Jerry

Those are actually small toy motors (as you have unfortunately found out)…

1. CALL (not email) Navin at Precision RC…

2. measure the motor and see if you can find a replacement, and I would buy two of them

3. double check the gauge of your wheels, the gauge of all that I have touched was over 45mm… puts undue stress on the motors… there is a fix…

Greg

Thanks Greg, yeah calling Navin is on the list. Be nice to be able to get the spec for the motor if he can’t supply it.

Jerry

there might be some markings on the motor. In any case, I would advise disassembling the truck and retrieving the motor.

The issue will probably be that it is from a Chinese company where you cannot buy one at a time. The good news is that you can probably find one that will fit with the same shafts.

Greg

Navin has the PCC motors in stock. My check is on the way to him for the replacement motors.

So this one seems to have a happy ending. Will let you all know when I get them and how the install goes

Thanks

Jerry

The motors arrived in the mail and I successfully installed a new one to replace the failed motor. The only quirk is that the motor has two tabs for soldering on the power leads. I noticed that although they both stick up 90 degrees to the motor, the motor I removed had one tab flat down against the motor case. This tab is the one closest to the cover. Well the reason it is bent down is that the cover will not close properly unless the tab is bent down. The first time I soldered the wire onto the tab, I had a small bump of solder on the back side of the tab. This prevented the tab from lying flat against the motor case. So I had to un-solder the lead and re-do it so as to not inhibit the tab from clearing the cover. And of course the wires are just barely long enough to reach…

Never the less, the repair was successful, and the trolley is now back in revenue service. I took the opportunity to add a dozen figures my wife has painted to add realism to the trolley

Jerry

So where’s the pics ?? (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

You should really check the back to back and the gauge of the wheels. Most are seriously out of spec and it causes a large amount of stress on the car.

https://elmassian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=535&Itemid=647

Greg

PCC truck with new motor installed

Greg Elmassian said:

You should really check the back to back and the gauge of the wheels. Most are seriously out of spec and it causes a large amount of stress on the car.

https://elmassian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=535&Itemid=647

Greg

Yea, when I got my first one, I thought maybe, since it was a Pittsburgh Railways car, that maybe it was set to Pittsburgh railways gauge of 5 foot 2.5 inches. It certainly wasn’t set to the 4 foot 8.5 inches that it should have been set to.