Forums General Other Hobbies
  • Topic: WSRR Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 13, 2018 10:17 AM EST
      • Waverly, Alabama

• Thanks

WSRR Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Well, I wasn't quite ready to start this discussion quite yet, but here goes.  For many years I have been hankering to build a wood fired pizza oven out next to our deck.  Finally in the summer of 2016, my son and I took the plunge and started work.  Now, realize this is a lot like some of the projects we do here with our trains, structures and layouts in that it takes a lot of time.  For most WFO you pour a slab foundation, lay a few courses of CMU's, pour a concrete hearth and build the oven.  For some reason, I always have to make things a little more complicated than they should be.  I want to be able to access the WFO from my deck which is about 4 feet off the ground.  So, instead of building a hearth that is usually 3-4 feet off the ground, I put mine about 8 feet in the air.  This meant a larger foundation, an intermediate free spanning slab and more block.  But we got that part done.  It just took us 2 summers to make it happen.  I'll detail the work up to this point later, I've got a cookhouse (Mik's Build Challenge) to build right now, but below is where we are today.  Next up is the actual oven construction.  Fire brick were delivered this past week but I am still waiting on some insulation board and fire clay to arrive so I can get started on the oven.  More later.

• January 13, 2018 10:40 AM EST
      • Topaz, more evil than your average kitty

• Thanks

With all that room Dan you could build a wood fired smoker right next to it and have a two for one. i.e. BBQ chicken pizza mmmmmmm good.

In any event I give you top marks for putting so much time and effort into being a pizza purist!

Boomer

Topaz the spare parts kitty: a wholly owned subsidiary of Satan Inc. "We don't just destroy your dreams, we swallow your soul"

• January 13, 2018 11:09 AM EST
      • West Grove, Pennsylvania

• Thanks

Now we all know where to go for pizza.............

Sausage and pepperoni........anyone?

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --Martin Luther King Jr

• January 13, 2018 7:51 PM EST
      • edited for your approval, Arizona

• Thanks

someone needs to make a brisket pizza!!!!

Butt Modeler #2

• January 14, 2018 11:51 AM EST
      • Peeples Valley, Arizona

• Thanks

Nice!

• January 14, 2018 12:26 PM EST
      • Kittery, ME

• Thanks

I started mine about 10 years ago.  I poured the slab and built the walls at that point.  About three years ago, I poured the reinforced platform for the over (the other section is for a countertop).  This back area had been neglected while we worked on other projects, but we just got a deck and patio in last month, and now I HAVE to finish the oven.  In fact, I'll be doing that before I'm allowed to lay any track out there.  :)

I have a big pile of field stones that I'll used to veneer the CMU, so the finished product will look like a stone structure.  I'm using the Forno Bravo plans.  

The track from the basement to the yard will run down that fence.  Most likely behind the oven, but I'll put it in front if I can come up with a clever way to do it.

• January 14, 2018 12:53 PM EST
      • Waverly, Alabama

• Thanks

Its amazing how time flies with these projects.  I have to get mine complete before the boy graduates in May.  We have promised him he can have a graduation pizza party at our house.  So updates will be coming as soon as the weather gets to where it is not freezing all the time.  I am following the Forno Bravo plans myself, basically.  I'll add a few of my own elements.  Good luck with yours, Eric.

Forums General Other Hobbies

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google