Forums Modeling Annual Build Challenge
  • Topic: Dave T's 2018 Build Challenge

    Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 25, 2018 8:16 AM EST
      • Marysville, Kansas
         
      • Posts
        693
      • Thanks
        437
      • Thanked
        156

      Nice Dave, hope you get back to it soon.

       

      Chris

    • January 25, 2018 10:29 PM EST
    • (Moderator)
      • Farmington, New Mexico
         
      • Posts
        2,259
      • Thanks
        20
      • Thanked
        249

      Got some time to get the perlins to hang the Taylor tin on,  and the backing boards for the block work installed.

       

       

      It's starting to come around and look like something.  Up next will be the Taylor stone.

       

      Still overnighting at the ICU.  Shanna was removed from the respirator and is improving,,, breathing on her own..

      ____________________________________

      New Mexico­ Northern ­Railroad
      D&RGW ­315 Crew ­member, Fireman
      RRR #4
      Board Memb­er, Durang­o Railroad­ Historica­l Society

    • January 26, 2018 12:37 PM EST
      • Pinon Hills, California
         
      • Posts
        4,000
      • Thanks
        7
      • Thanked
        30

         I hope Shanna continues to improve! We are cheering for her!

         What kind of wood are you using? I like the grain!

         I plan to be framing walls today. You are ahead of me!

      This post was edited by Doug Arnold at January 26, 2018 12:39 PM EST
    • January 26, 2018 12:47 PM EST
    • (Moderator)
      • Farmington, New Mexico
         
      • Posts
        2,259
      • Thanks
        20
      • Thanked
        249

      Thats REAL  D&RG Railroad wood.  

       

      It's Douglas Fir,  Cut from a 6" x 9" intermediate  Sill beam from D&RGW Flat car 6214.   We are rebuilding the flat and several of the beams needed to be replaced, and I salvaged several chunks.  The last rebuild date on the car was 1923.  It could be even older,  we will never know.

       

      I guess that that makes this a historic building,   it has a history behind it.

       

      This post was edited by Dave Taylor at January 26, 2018 12:49 PM EST
      ____________________________________

      New Mexico­ Northern ­Railroad
      D&RGW ­315 Crew ­member, Fireman
      RRR #4
      Board Memb­er, Durang­o Railroad­ Historica­l Society

    • January 26, 2018 12:58 PM EST
      • Pinon Hills, California
         
      • Posts
        4,000
      • Thanks
        7
      • Thanked
        30

         So you will have a historic building too!

         I recently realized I have more 30 year old redwood in a kindling pile I haven't used! I will have some for the next "vintage" building. You're is historic mine is only vintage!

    • January 26, 2018 11:05 PM EST
      • Waverly, Alabama
         
      • Posts
        926
      • Thanks
        99
      • Thanked
        143

      Glad to hear Shanna is improving.  The power building is coming along nicely.

      ____________________________________

       

    • January 26, 2018 11:55 PM EST
    • (Moderator)
      • Farmington, New Mexico
         
      • Posts
        2,259
      • Thanks
        20
      • Thanked
        249

      Got a few minutes to start getting stoned.

      I layed some Taylor Tin on the upper section to see how it will look.    I'll have to cut some custom Tin.    Not sure how the roof will fit yet.

       

      Back at the hospital,  Shanna was transferred out of ICU to the renal care section.  Daily improvement.

       

      ____________________________________

      New Mexico­ Northern ­Railroad
      D&RGW ­315 Crew ­member, Fireman
      RRR #4
      Board Memb­er, Durang­o Railroad­ Historica­l Society

    • January 27, 2018 12:09 AM EST
      • Pinon Hills, California
         
      • Posts
        4,000
      • Thanks
        7
      • Thanked
        30

      Looking good.

      have a good night!

    • January 27, 2018 5:39 PM EST
      • Phippsburg, Maine
         
      • Posts
        1,027
      • Thanks
        24
      • Thanked
        196

      I recognize some of those materials!  good stuff too!

    • January 28, 2018 6:25 AM EST
    • (Moderator)
      • Farmington, New Mexico
         
      • Posts
        2,259
      • Thanks
        20
      • Thanked
        249

      Got some time to Finnish up the stone work.

      Put in a special cut order into Taylor Tin's production schedule.   Factory working overtime.

       

       

      At the Hospital tonight,  improvements daily.   3-4 more days may wrap this up...

       

      This post was edited by Dave Taylor at January 28, 2018 6:26 AM EST
      ____________________________________

      New Mexico­ Northern ­Railroad
      D&RGW ­315 Crew ­member, Fireman
      RRR #4
      Board Memb­er, Durang­o Railroad­ Historica­l Society

    • January 28, 2018 12:24 PM EST
      • Denver, Colorado
         
      • Posts
        1,782
      • Thanks
        162
      • Thanked
        258

          I recognize those Dave Taylor copyrighted specialty factory-made building materials. I've been following along and it's good to hear that your friend may be getting out of the woods, because losing friends is miserable. I hope I never get sick, but if I do I want a friend like you around.

      ____________________________________

    • January 29, 2018 4:59 AM EST
    • (Moderator)
      • Farmington, New Mexico
         
      • Posts
        2,259
      • Thanks
        20
      • Thanked
        249

      Got some time to cut and bend up some of that fabulous,  Guaranteed Never To Rust, Taylor Tin.

      Also got started on applying it to the building,   Went fast, as it was custom cut to size.

      One done, three more to go. Time to start worrying about the roof.

       

      @ Hospital again, Minor setback, slow recovery.

      This post was edited by Dave Taylor at January 29, 2018 5:06 AM EST
      ____________________________________

      New Mexico­ Northern ­Railroad
      D&RGW ­315 Crew ­member, Fireman
      RRR #4
      Board Memb­er, Durang­o Railroad­ Historica­l Society

    • January 29, 2018 9:25 AM EST
      • Post Falls, Idaho
         
      • Posts
        6,691
      • Thanks
        951
      • Thanked
        347

      What year do you model? What direction will this metal wall be facing? Until it rusts up it will blind pilots with its reflection is it faces any other direction than north. Looks good Dave. Looks like the guys at Taylor Tin, Stone, Doors, & Whatever Company have been busy.

      ____________________________________
    • January 29, 2018 12:02 PM EST
      • Vail, Az
         
      • Posts
        4,117
      • Thanks
        474
      • Thanked
        488

      Devon Sinsley said:

      What year do you model? What direction will this metal wall be facing? Until it rusts up it will blind pilots with its reflection is it faces any other direction than north. Looks good Dave. Looks like the guys at Taylor Tin, Stone, Doors, & Whatever Company have been busy.

      Since it's a flat top roof, wouldn't the sun need to be on the ground to reflect upwards?

       

      Dave nice use of familiar junk.

      ____________________________________

      John

       

      The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

       

       

    • January 29, 2018 12:57 PM EST
      • Post Falls, Idaho
         
      • Posts
        6,691
      • Thanks
        951
      • Thanked
        347

      John Caughey said:
      Devon Sinsley said:

      What year do you model? What direction will this metal wall be facing? Until it rusts up it will blind pilots with its reflection is it faces any other direction than north. Looks good Dave. Looks like the guys at Taylor Tin, Stone, Doors, & Whatever Company have been busy.

      Since it's a flat top roof, wouldn't the sun need to be on the ground to reflect upwards?

       

      Dave nice use of familiar junk.

      I was thinking about barn stormers and crop dusters flying in the winter at extreme northern latitudes where the sun comes at you from a very low angle.

       

       

      This post was edited by Devon Sinsley at January 29, 2018 12:58 PM EST
      ____________________________________
    • January 29, 2018 2:55 PM EST
      • Vail, Az
         
      • Posts
        4,117
      • Thanks
        474
      • Thanked
        488

      Devon Sinsley said:
      John Caughey said:
      Devon Sinsley said:

      What year do you model? What direction will this metal wall be facing? Until it rusts up it will blind pilots with its reflection is it faces any other direction than north. Looks good Dave. Looks like the guys at Taylor Tin, Stone, Doors, & Whatever Company have been busy.

      Since it's a flat top roof, wouldn't the sun need to be on the ground to reflect upwards?

       

      Dave nice use of familiar junk.

      I was thinking about barn stormers and crop dusters flying in the winter at extreme northern latitudes where the sun comes at you from a very low angle.

       

       

      Oh.

      ____________________________________

      John

       

      The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

       

       

    • January 29, 2018 3:37 PM EST
      • Post Falls, Idaho
         
      • Posts
        6,691
      • Thanks
        951
      • Thanked
        347

      John Caughey said:
      Devon Sinsley said:
      John Caughey said:
      Devon Sinsley said:

      What year do you model? What direction will this metal wall be facing? Until it rusts up it will blind pilots with its reflection is it faces any other direction than north. Looks good Dave. Looks like the guys at Taylor Tin, Stone, Doors, & Whatever Company have been busy.

      Since it's a flat top roof, wouldn't the sun need to be on the ground to reflect upwards?

       

      Dave nice use of familiar junk.

      I was thinking about barn stormers and crop dusters flying in the winter at extreme northern latitudes where the sun comes at you from a very low angle.

       

       

      Oh.

      You seem unenthusiastic about that answer.

      ____________________________________
    • January 30, 2018 3:31 AM EST
    • (Moderator)
      • Farmington, New Mexico
         
      • Posts
        2,259
      • Thanks
        20
      • Thanked
        249

      Found enough time to Finnish up the Tinning.   

      Front and Left side.

      Right side and rear.  Will need to put the corner pieces on,  but done for the walls.

       

      Time to worry about the roof, and the side service door.

       

      @ hospital for the night.  

      ____________________________________

      New Mexico­ Northern ­Railroad
      D&RGW ­315 Crew ­member, Fireman
      RRR #4
      Board Memb­er, Durang­o Railroad­ Historica­l Society

Forums Modeling Annual Build Challenge

    Icon Legend

  • Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google