Forums Modeling Annual Build Challenge
  • Topic: Mik's2018 BC Todd Haskins

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 7, 2018 10:36 AM EST
      • Cape Cod,

• Thanks

Mik's2018 BC Todd Haskins

This years challenge is another great idea from the mind of Dave T and I'm sure many will rise to the challenge and present us with their awesome builds.

I'm still looking for inspiration to strike but I had better throw my hat in the ring and let you guys know that I'm in the challenge.

I am weighing 2 ideas in my mind and trying to figure out how much lumber I can get out of a short section of 2x4. 

The ideas are replacing a long low trestle that is falling apart after 9 years and the other is a coaling tower facade to be placed in my main yard.

Once I get my head around either of these ideas  I will be back with the napkin sketch. 

• January 7, 2018 1:15 PM EST
      • Vail, Az

• Thanks

Sketch 'em both ... Until we begin, we can change our minds and plans as much as we want! I'm on my 2nd crayon already.

John

The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

• January 12, 2018 5:08 PM EST
      • Cape Cod,

• Thanks

I have decided on building the trestle/ bridge to replace the one that is rotting out. 

The old bridge is one of my early structures being built in 2007 and the pilings are rotted and supporting pieces have been falling off. 

My only issue is that the bridge is 7' long and I would like to use 2, 1/2 x1/2 stringers in my build to make this strong and when those are cut I will go to the allotted 50 inch piece of 2x4 if that is OK.  

The style of bridge will depend on how much wood I can get out of the 2x4.  I would like to do a trestle up to a center span of 12- 18 inches and build either a short pony truss or maybe a double king post style bridge.  Once the wood is  stripped to the 1x2 x 1/2 size I use we shall see what type of bridge I can build.  If I have enough wood I will put a few platforms for fire fighting sand buckets and safety stands for workers to let trains go by. 

Here is my napkin doodles of a few plans.

Here is the bridge that will be replaced with a crew checking on it.  It is 7 feet long and 8 inches high.

• January 12, 2018 7:12 PM EST
      • Vail, Az

• Thanks

'My only issue is that the bridge is 7' long and I would like to use 2, 1/2 x1/2 stringers in my build to make this strong and when those are cut I will go to the allotted 50 inch piece of 2x4 if that is OK.  "

Hey it's fine by me, but nobody listens to me....

John

• January 12, 2018 7:17 PM EST
      • Denver, Colorado

• Thanks

The 7' stringers are support features and, like the ties, ballast, and track, are not part of the Challenge build, and I'm very sure you had the material for the stringers before January 1st, so in my opinion you is good.

This post was edited by John Passaro at January 12, 2018 7:19 PM EST

• January 12, 2018 8:26 PM EST
      • Vail, Az

• Thanks

John Passaro said:

The 7' stringers are support features and, like the ties, ballast, and track, are not part of the Challenge build, and I'm very sure you had the material for the stringers before January 1st, so in my opinion you is good.

Methinks you over explained it. I was willing to grant the variance for strength.

I'm planning on herring bone stringers, (I didn't know they were so salty in the can).

My stringers will be part of the design for the judging.

John

• January 13, 2018 8:37 PM EST
      • Cape Cod,

• Thanks

Today lots of sawdust was made.  I lucked out with the weather being about 50 and not 10 since I cut outdoors.   I ripped the 7' pieces from the 8' 2x4 then cut a 50" section from the remainder and ripped it down on the table saw.  It looks like it will be enough for my trestle bridge plans but I know how the wood disappears quickly once I get cutting.  The next step is to start making the bents.

The boss in a sea of sawdust.

• January 17, 2018 3:52 PM EST
      • Cape Cod,

• Thanks

Well I ripped the length of 2x4 over the weekend and many of the pieces since then have twisted up.  I got the OK to replace the bad pieces but now I'm thinking that if I make a nice bridge out of this junk that it too will warp.   Now I'm thinking about using the twisted pieces and building a wonky shack or a dilapidated building and when the rest of it decides to bend up and pieces fall off it will be OK.  

Forums Modeling Annual Build Challenge

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google