Large Scale Central

Mik2018 Recycled or pilfered

As a diversion to the WAIT, I started a Mack bash in the Mik spirit; only the wheels start the right scale. To provide a worthy domicile for my Mack Pick’em up truck with a steam crane, I sent out my crew to scrounge our building materials. I’ve learned not to ask questions and instead to make plans with whatever shows up … and to do it quickly.

Yawn, this morning’s discovery, yielded square set timbers for framing and a big yard full of used cribbing. This job is beyond my crew of pansies, I’d better hire some muscle to groom the cribbing for re-sawing.

The steam crane brings a unique challenge, the door will be peaked methinks…

Photographed on my washer as a tribute to our chief scrounger.

Your gonna make a crate? Oh wait, I get it, its a shed.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Devon Sinsley said:

Your gonna make a crate? Oh wait, I get it, its a shed.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Simplicity, after your head start, why bother trying to win…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

John Caughey said:

Devon Sinsley said:

Simplicity, after your head start, why bother trying to win…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

lol. Well you might just win. I am willing to bet you can build and complete a crate faster than I can build and complete a megatropolis

Shed modified roof line

Pilfered square sets don’t offer much in creativity, but if I can get my prop done then maybe simplicity can be effective.

Since you asked… or not, my building must survive outdoors, it’s painful to watch details disappear. I stopped wasting my time on scale wood boards and even wooden buildings because they must be outside 24/7/365 …

Besides this is what my crew brought back;

Lesson, the above support the roof, there is a different end cut for side pressure;

I be doing my home work.

There have been rumblings of mutiny… rumble rumble.

‘What do you mean he called it a crate???’

Yes he did, but he’s cocky having a museum quality junk heap …

‘Are we going to stand for that?’

Uh no, I’ve looked further into our recycling bin and found those warped retaining walls from last year and we now have big manly stones! We are going UP! We are going to build tall manly piers under our crate and make it our Back Woods open air garage/shop/hideout.

So far there is only a post-it reminding me of my last great idear, revised napkin to come when I’ve resolved my recalcitrant wireless mouse, dongle ain’t worth a dingle.

edit to add

Lol so now it’s a crate on stilts. Is that what all that meant?

Devon Sinsley said:

Lol so now it’s a crate on stilts. Is that what all that meant?

I have no idea.

I sharpened up another crayon, for another try.

Of course all important details are on the Post-its.

It’s closer… but I have no vision.

I do have something else up my sleeve with the rabbit, if this is more than that 2x4.

Yup, crate on stilts. . .i was right

Devon Sinsley said:

Yup, crate on stilts. . .i was right

So, its a crate on stilts and there is a rabbit in the crate. Now we are getting somewhere. I’ve been thoroughly confused up to this point, but I am easily confused. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I kept looking at my 2x4 and liked it less and less. My dad once had benches in his greenhouse.

After he died I took the greenhouse apart and brought the redwood home. It was all clear redwood.

I am going to figure out how much of the redwood it takes to match up with then 2x4 and use that.

This aged wood is about 40 years old.

It is finally starting to rain on the desert! Hooray!!!

And the framework for the new layout is almost done!

This is too much fun…

The idea was to use Square Set timbers to frame the beast, that was the pilfered part.

Then because thin wood dissolves here, I tried to use recycled cribbing as the panels…

Then it was add the quarry stones from my warped attempt from last year…

The encouragement was so overwhelming, that I packed up my whelm and said fuggit.

I’m about ready to solder up the cab for my mack bash… it’s garage can wait… like for ever.

Other than bridges and trestles I’ve about sworn off wooden buildings, I’ve yet to better Nature’s march to dust.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)

Huh, a bridge? Oh ok, I need bridges … like 4 and a half…

A new direction;

Mine goes under a 10’D curve…, another version … notice they cannibalized parts for the pedestrian bridge, replaced them with twigs…

So that’s today’s whim.

Doug, send some rain over here!

Did Dave say it had to be a wood 2x4? Or are we all assuming? I mean how about 42" of 1.5 x 3.5 steel bar stock and a plasma cutter? Or maybe two 3.5 wide pieces of 3/4 pvc. One piece of 1x4 pvc 8 feet long would cover it.

Devon Sinsley said:

Did Dave say it had to be a wood 2x4? Or are we all assuming? I mean how about 42" of 1.5 x 3.5 steel bar stock and a plasma cutter? Or maybe two 3.5 wide pieces of 3/4 pvc. One piece of 1x4 pvc 8 feet long would cover it.

Are you ok?

Yes it’s a 2x4 finished cut not rough … and each scale gets a set length. 1:24 >3.5’

Why ask that here?

Even in your description it does not say wood. The reason for asking is your rant about wood turning to dust in your enviroment. A finished cut (which means nominal dimensions of 1.5 x 3.5 ) 2x4 which he has agreed can be “assembled” from 1" stock (3/4 nominal) could be interpreted as not necessarily having to be made of real wood. There are metal 2x4 studs and there also PVC trim boards. The reasoning Bri g you could use PVC to build your build with creative interpretation.

Just trying to REALLY help this time.

All I asked Dave for was permission to use pre cut wood. To which he agreed.

I said I can’t use thin wood, hence using the thicker stuff.

How the heck would/could I use a steel 2x4 for $30? Nope still not making sense.

This is a rant?

Other than bridges and trestles I’ve about sworn off wooden buildings, I’ve yet to better Nature’s march to dust.

Oh my.

John,

you are taking me far to seriously. The steel was a joke. Of course you can’t make it out of steel. But I really was trying to help with the PVC idea. Remember rule #1 have fun. I am having fun with you. Your “rant” I know was not a rant at all but an honest explanation of the issue at hand. I get it, I am not trying to bust your chops. I really am trying to be helpful. Given rule #1 and the fact that you have a decided problem with thin wood in your environment, I think (and this is purely my opinion), that using an alternative materiel that yields the same amount of building supplies, is in keeping with the spirit of things. The idea is to build something useful for your pike and have fun doing it. The rules are more like guidelines than actual rules to quote one of my favorite movie characters. But the PVC idea to me is doable. A .75 X 30.5 X 8’ PVC board at Lowes is $15.36 trimming two pieces of that to 42" would yield the same as our allotted 2X4. It then gives you a more durable building materiel for your environment (I am assuming). I , again this is my opinion, would rather see you build something you really want/need out of a materiel that will work for your layout than compromise. There is no extra advantage gained by using PVC over wood as far as the challenge is concerned.

So please forgive me if I seem like I am giving you a hard time. I am, but it was only meant to be in fun, and not to rag on you. I really am trying to help you by thinking out of the box a little. I am not telling you at all what you should or should not do. I am merely trying to help you see what you maybe overlooking.

Now is it the 13th yet.