Large Scale Central

UP No. 4014

UP No. 4014

Nice link, nice to see the progress.

Thanks.

Thanks for the update Ken

Wow, I can’t believe we’re less than two years away from seeing the Big Boy under steam!

It took like 9 years to restore our little 18 ton two footer…it is pretty cool to see what industrial might can do!

And, back in the day, how long would this job have taken? Weeks, months?

Well, they would have had the parts on hand, could turn the wheels there, had a 240 ton crane to lift things and a steam shop that worked 3 shifts a day with 4000 workers. Plus any they worked on would have been in better shape than one that had sat outside for years. So pretty fast, I imagine.

Jerry Barnes said:

Well, they would have had the parts on hand, could turn the wheels there, had a 240 ton crane to lift things and a steam shop that worked 3 shifts a day with 4000 workers. Plus any they worked on would have been in better shape than one that had sat outside for years. So pretty fast, I imagine.

Yup. I was not criticizing, only lamenting.

Jerry Barnes said:

Plus, if they knew that the locomotive they were working on only had to last 5 years or so, they could have gone even faster. That is one of the issues with some of these beasts, their last overhaul before retirement, wasn’t as complete as it could have been