Forums Power and Sound Electronics
  • Topic: H Bridge for Tortoise

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 2, 2018 1:58 PM EST
      • Candlewood Valley, Connecticut

• Thanks

So zactly what is the difference between an H Bridge motor controller and an Electronic Speed control (ESC) ?   I've done some recent experiments with a real cheap ESC and want to try something better. I know the bridge you are referencing is driven by an Audrino and is designed for stepper motors, but I have also seen them advertised for standard motors driven by an RC Servo output which is how I would use it.

www.cvsry.com www.cvsry.com

• January 2, 2018 2:34 PM EST
      • Kittery, ME

• Thanks

The H bridge itself simply provides control over the polarity of its output. For the tortoise motor, the polarity determines the direction of travel. I am not doing any kind of speed control, since it's already quite slow.

Most ESCs designed for RC applications translate a servo signal to a 0% -100% duty cycle PWM output.   They integrate an H bridge for directional control.  If you were to drive an H Bridge directly with a servo signal, the DC motor would never turn off or reach 100%, as the minimum pulse width for a servo is 1 ms and the maximum is 2 ms, at 50 Hz. The board that I linked above expects a raw PWM signal. In my case, I am just sending it a logic signal (essentially 100% duty cycle). 

This post was edited by Eric Reuter at January 2, 2018 5:06 PM EST
    • January 2, 2018 3:41 PM EST
      • Candlewood Valley, Connecticut

• Thanks

Thanks - I guess my terminology hasn't caught up with my idea factory.  What I was calling simply an H-Bridge is really a "Single channel H-bridge speed controller - 10A, 6.5V to 28V"  So I are now a bit more edumacated.  Thanks!

www.cvsry.com www.cvsry.com

• January 2, 2018 4:46 PM EST
      • Carlsbad, CA

• Thanks

H bridge is really the design, where the schematic looks like an "H", although you can buy an IC that has an H bridge circuit inside.

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

Forums Power and Sound Electronics

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google