Large Scale Central

AML 50' Gunderson

Suleski Transportation received their 2015 Christmas Present today. Yes that’s right 2015. We purchased 4 - 50’ Gunderson Hi Cube Boxcars when they were to be released in the 1st quarter of 2016. (the AML News web page still touts this) This was ok’d by our chief finacial officer. Today ST #29 an SD-40-2 was photographed bringing them into the yard.

Here is a link to a flickr folder -50’ Hi Cubes

These cars come with AML truck mounted couplers but also include Hook & Loop and Pad Mounted AML couplers for body mounting. There is a place to mount their coupler or a Kadee Body Mount. I love the colors for the TTX and CSXT but am not to crazy about the Green for the Stone Container Corp car. (Although I have to admit I’ve never seen one of these in real life.)

There are a lot of fine detail parts but no moving parts. The door is fixed.

I will have these weathered in time to run at the Springfield Show in late January.

Scott

I have 10 of them sitting in my foyer (4 RBOX, 4 SP and 2 undec)… Unpacked an RBOX and a SP, 8 left to unpack… Cars look nice, probably be spring when I see how they run… First step is put kadee’s on them

can’t believe they finally came

xmas comes early!!!

Wow! Those look right in place with your ST power! Reminds me of our modern intermodal runs on CAT.

Andy Clarke said:

I have 10 of them sitting in my foyer (4 RBOX, 4 SP and 2 undec)…

We don’t care!

You are the reason supply is light ! Has nothing to do with demand only that your a train hoarded !

" Rooster " said:

Andy Clarke said:

I have 10 of them sitting in my foyer (4 RBOX, 4 SP and 2 undec)…

We don’t care!

You are the reason supply is light ! Has nothing to do with demand only that your a train hoarded !

That’s hilarious!!

“….I will have these weathered in time to run at the Springfield Show in late January…

Yes ‘please’, get those cars out on revenue service pronto :slight_smile:

Your pics imply so factory-fresh, they look toy-like ! (could almost be contenders for kalmbach’s ‘classic toy train’ mag)

Glad to hear they finally made it out of the factory . . . .

http://www.americanmainline.com/modelc/G411-01.htm

doug c

p.s. after blinkin’ eyes several times, had to chk calendar make sure it was Dec., not april 1st)

I have four coming tomorrow. 2 rbox and 2 S.P. I see RLD is already showing the S.P. out of stock. So, if you are thinking of ordering, don’t wait.

I received 4 Hi Cubes today - purchased from RLD.

1 SP, 1 BN green, 1 Wisconsin Central, 1 TTX

-Ted

It will be ‘interesting’ to see if they will be spotted rolling north across the 49th previous to 04/14/18 for acquisition (during ST’18) by our Cdn. railways with the ‘capacity’, but not the $$$ to pay for the (deal cribbling) combo of international shpg & exchange rate, from us-based sources.

nite,

doug c

p.s. ted; lookin’ forward to your upcoming ‘hi-cube’ themed vignette in upcoming months…

Ted Doskaris said:

I received 4 Hi Cubes today - purchased from RLD.

1 SP, 1 BN green, 1 Wisconsin Central, 1 TTX

-Ted

You may host your findings with these cars directly here on LSC if you wish Ted !

First thoughts. I received my four cars yesterday. They come packaged in plain white boxes. Only a stick on label on the end to identify whats in the box. Ok with me if it keeps cost down. The cars are really nice looking. Good detail. I did notice right away that one axle on one of the cars is not turning freely. I will check that out later, most likely and end cap too tight. Just something to be aware of. I hope to do a Kadee #1 scale coupler conversion shortly.

Just some preliminary observations.

Shown below are the boxes that the cars came in - just like Paul described.

AML Hi-Cube Boxcar Boxes

Shown below is the TTX car.

AML Hi-Cube TTX Boxcar

It looks to me like the mounting pad on the car underside is intended for using AMLs body mount coupler assembly in that the pad is a bit too low to the railhead if attempting to mount a Kadee 906 assembly - the “G” type I use.
(The AML coupler is not truly centerset; its knuckle has an upward offset.)

I found this to be the case with AML’s wood side Reefers and had to compensate for that when using the Kadee 906 centerset coupler.

Shown below is the AML truck mount coupler compared to the Kadee gauge. Aside from it being low to the railhead, notice the knuckle itself has an upward offset that is the same if using the AML body mount assy that the factory provided with the car.

AML Hi-Cube TTX Boxcar Truck Mount Coupler

Shown below is the car’s factory weight.

AML Hi-Cube TTX Boxcar Factory Weight

-Ted

Ted, I just sent you a message.

Still waiting on mine. Ordered a week ago a from RLD must be the road name I ordered may have not showed up. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)Later RJD

“….Still waiting on mine. Ordered a week ago a from RLD must be the road name I ordered may have not showed up….”

Don’t despair, probably dozens of other orders placed previous to “.…a week ago” ! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

doug c

For those that may be experincing wheel drag on the AML Hi-Cube cars.

This has happend on other AML cars with the same type trucks (PS4750 and Bethgon hoppers).

The truck’s sideframes may not be parallel as they should be, which can cause binding against the axle tip and/or brake shoes. There can be different methods for fixing this, but I ultimately chose to make a “Side frame Spreader Spring” that fits between the two side frames to straighten them out.

AML Roller Bearing Truck Spreader Spring Fix

For more detail, see “vignette” title, “Optimizing the AML Metal Roller Bearing Truck

-Ted

Thanks Ted,

You have covered what I have found on the new cars.

Paul,

Sorry for my delayed response. I had to figure out how to see the private message here on LSC. On MLS, you get an alert email.

-Ted

Ted,

Great idea on using the spreader spring to correct the Pidgeon toe" effect on the side frames. I have used a similar but much larger spreader on my 1-1/2 inch scale trucks. both arch bat and Bettendorf.