Forums Modeling Modeling
  • Topic: I feel a bash coming on

    Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 17, 2017 10:33 PM EST
      • Mount Vernon, Missouri
         
      • Posts
        603
      • Thanks
        16
      • Thanked
        50

      I have had lots of comments on this one and lots of fun building  LGB Mac truck

       

    • December 17, 2017 10:50 PM EST
      • Vail, Az
         
      • Posts
        3,838
      • Thanks
        379
      • Thanked
        386

      I bet you did. I doubt if mine will be that nice.

      ____________________________________

      John

       

      The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

       

       

    • December 18, 2017 10:54 PM EST
      • Southern Oregon
         
      • Posts
        1,325
      • Thanks
        3
      • Thanked
        173

      Great start John,

      The reason the Mack AC cabs look so tall is partly because of the tall running board area.  The cab doors actually pulled up from below rather than being hinged to swing open and closed.  

      Ford is generally credited with the "C" cab design but Mack AC was right there with them.

      Great plan you have for the build, waiting to see the finished results.

      Rick

    • December 19, 2017 12:21 AM EST
      • Vail, Az
         
      • Posts
        3,838
      • Thanks
        379
      • Thanked
        386

      Rick,

      Thanks for the door detail, that's interesting to know.

      Turns out my first guess on the cab's height is right on for my one seated figure. I made a quick bench to get a feel of it. Seeing Ward sitting tall in the cab with such a small engine compartment...

      Bonus! Built like a Mack:

      A Genuine Mack parts rail car. Bay seats? #50? How many did they make????

      ____________________________________

      John

       

      The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

       

       

    • December 19, 2017 3:03 AM EST
      • Vail, Az
         
      • Posts
        3,838
      • Thanks
        379
      • Thanked
        386

      Caught me dangling a thought! Was reminding me of the summer I had a Morris Minor panel wagon to drive with a tiny motor...

       

      Ward's feet were covered to the shins in his cab too. I don't know his scale.

      Or I could go topless!

      ____________________________________

      John

       

      The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

       

       

    • December 19, 2017 1:26 PM EST
      • Pinon Hills, California
         
      • Posts
        3,950
      • Thanks
        7
      • Thanked
        25

       I need to build a new cab and windshield for Desert Slim's truck! 

    • December 19, 2017 5:56 PM EST
      • Vail, Az
         
      • Posts
        3,838
      • Thanks
        379
      • Thanked
        386

      Correction: Above the Mack Rail car was actually a bus!

      The seats do extend out past the frame ...

      Thought a couple of you might want to know.

      ____________________________________

      John

       

      The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

       

       

    • December 19, 2017 7:07 PM EST
      • Pinon Hills, California
         
      • Posts
        3,950
      • Thanks
        7
      • Thanked
        25

      Did it take that many people to deliver one letter?

    • December 19, 2017 7:41 PM EST
      • Vail, Az
         
      • Posts
        3,838
      • Thanks
        379
      • Thanked
        386

      Doug Arnold said:

      Did it take that many people to deliver one letter?

      1 to deliver and 11 to Oversee.

      ____________________________________

      John

       

      The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

       

       

    • December 22, 2017 3:17 PM EST
      • Vail, Az
         
      • Posts
        3,838
      • Thanks
        379
      • Thanked
        386

      Rick Marty said:

      Great start John,

      The reason the Mack AC cabs look so tall is partly because of the tall running board area.  The cab doors actually pulled up from below rather than being hinged to swing open and closed.  

      Ford is generally credited with the "C" cab design but Mack AC was right there with them.

      Great plan you have for the build, waiting to see the finished results.

      Rick

      I just found an interesting link and the opening pic of a Mack indicates that the door slides forward from the wall beside the seat ...

      https://www.macktrucks.com/about-mack/museum/mack-history/1910-1919/

      ____________________________________

      John

       

      The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

       

       

    • December 22, 2017 6:07 PM EST
      • Southern Oregon
         
      • Posts
        1,325
      • Thanks
        3
      • Thanked
        173

      John Caughey said:
      Rick Marty said:

      Great start John,

      The reason the Mack AC cabs look so tall is partly because of the tall running board area.  The cab doors actually pulled up from below rather than being hinged to swing open and closed.  

      Ford is generally credited with the "C" cab design but Mack AC was right there with them.

      Great plan you have for the build, waiting to see the finished results.

      Rick

      I just found an interesting link and the opening pic of a Mack indicates that the door slides forward from the wall beside the seat ...

      https://www.macktrucks.com/about-mack/museum/mack-history/1910-1919/

       

       

      Yep, that's what that picture shows, but that is not an AC "Bulldog" but another model.

      Rick

       

      Hmmmm, didn't mean to sound so abrupt. 

      The picture you posted, just above, shows a model AB Mack truck with a "C" cab, note the radiator out front where we are use to seeing one.  

      Your project truck and the line drawings you posted are of the model AC "Bulldog" Mack.  If you click on the 1920-29 space below the picture it will bring up an image of 

      An AC model, note the distinctive hood lines and the radiator back at the firewall.

      Merry Christmas

      Rick

       

       

      This post was edited by Rick Marty at December 22, 2017 9:58 PM EST
    • December 23, 2017 12:11 PM EST
      • Vail, Az
         
      • Posts
        3,838
      • Thanks
        379
      • Thanked
        386

      Rick Marty said:
      John Caughey said:
      Rick Marty said:

      Great start John,

      The reason the Mack AC cabs look so tall is partly because of the tall running board area.  The cab doors actually pulled up from below rather than being hinged to swing open and closed.  

      Ford is generally credited with the "C" cab design but Mack AC was right there with them.

      Great plan you have for the build, waiting to see the finished results.

      Rick

      I just found an interesting link and the opening pic of a Mack indicates that the door slides forward from the wall beside the seat ...

      https://www.macktrucks.com/about-mack/museum/mack-history/1910-1919/

       

       

      Yep, that's what that picture shows, but that is not an AC "Bulldog" but another model.

      Rick

       

      Hmmmm, didn't mean to sound so abrupt. 

      The picture you posted, just above, shows a model AB Mack truck with a "C" cab, note the radiator out front where we are use to seeing one.  

      Your project truck and the line drawings you posted are of the model AC "Bulldog" Mack.  If you click on the 1920-29 space below the picture it will bring up an image of 

      An AC model, note the distinctive hood lines and the radiator back at the firewall.

      Merry Christmas

      Rick

       

       

      Hi Rick, I saw your first part, but not your edit until this morning. Thanks for the softer edge. I wasn't wanting to appear to be challenging you, that's why I said 'indicating'. Sheepishly I knew it wasn't an AC, but was the only example I've found.

      Anyway, the best pics I've been able to find 'hint' at channels in the wall for said door.

      I just wrote  to the Museum and asked them to corroborate your facts. Hopefully they will send a pic or drawing....

      Have a Very Merry Christmas

       

      ____________________________________

      John

       

      The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

       

       

    • December 31, 2017 5:51 PM EST
      • Vail, Az
         
      • Posts
        3,838
      • Thanks
        379
      • Thanked
        386

      Even a professional crastinator can get something done ... I cut out one side of the new cab. It sits 1/4" too high, see arrows, but I'm happy with the plan.

      I call it the JC cab.

      I didn't file the top yet, wanted to check the fit. Now I can mark and cut the other side. I free handed the curves. The tabs on the back are to solder to the back wall. I'll back cut them to bend flush. Ward is sitting too high too.

      Happy New Year

       

      ____________________________________

      John

       

      The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

       

       

    • December 31, 2017 11:48 PM EST
      • Vail, Az
         
      • Posts
        3,838
      • Thanks
        379
      • Thanked
        386

      John Caughey said:
      Rick Marty said:
      John Caughey said:
      Rick Marty said:

      Great start John,

      The reason the Mack AC cabs look so tall is partly because of the tall running board area.  The cab doors actually pulled up from below rather than being hinged to swing open and closed.  

      Ford is generally credited with the "C" cab design but Mack AC was right there with them.

      Great plan you have for the build, waiting to see the finished results.

      Rick

      I just found an interesting link and the opening pic of a Mack indicates that the door slides forward from the wall beside the seat ...

      https://www.macktrucks.com/about-mack/museum/mack-history/1910-1919/

       

       

      Yep, that's what that picture shows, but that is not an AC "Bulldog" but another model.

      Rick

       

      Hmmmm, didn't mean to sound so abrupt. 

      The picture you posted, just above, shows a model AB Mack truck with a "C" cab, note the radiator out front where we are use to seeing one.  

      Your project truck and the line drawings you posted are of the model AC "Bulldog" Mack.  If you click on the 1920-29 space below the picture it will bring up an image of 

      An AC model, note the distinctive hood lines and the radiator back at the firewall.

      Merry Christmas

      Rick

       

       

      Hi Rick, I saw your first part, but not your edit until this morning. Thanks for the softer edge. I wasn't wanting to appear to be challenging you, that's why I said 'indicating'. Sheepishly I knew it wasn't an AC, but was the only example I've found.

      Anyway, the best pics I've been able to find 'hint' at channels in the wall for said door.

      I just wrote  to the Museum and asked them to corroborate your facts. Hopefully they will send a pic or drawing....

      Have a Very Merry Christmas

       

      As a follow up, while I've not found a pic of the doors, I did find a file at the Ford Museum > Benson Ford Research Center;

      "1918   Mack builds a special truck for the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. The truck is fitted with
      extra size pneumatic tires and features a sleeping compartment mounted behind the
      driver's seat. By 1919, most trucks with load capacities over 2 tons offer pneumatic tires
      as optional equipment.
      Mack trucks now have high door cabs which offer protection to the drivers in cold
      weather. Doors on the AB models slide to the side and those on the AC open vertically."

       

      There we go.

      ____________________________________

      John

       

      The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

       

       

    • February 18, 2018 2:26 PM EST
      • Vail, Az
         
      • Posts
        3,838
      • Thanks
        379
      • Thanked
        386

      Last year I started this bash ... I took a month off (mostly) to procrastinate on the Mik build ... but some progress has snuck in ...

      Yep it's held together with the blue tape, checking proportions.

      I dappled the top to mimic the leather landau ....

      While in the hobby dept. at one of my local Aces, I asked the clerk for a 5-6v motor for this beast. His suggestion was to modify the limiter in a Servo to make the motor polarity sensitive by removing the physical block/stop. I cut a hole in the side of the box and pivoted the 'pot' out of the way. Now I have a gear head motor that won't take a huge battery. I'm hoping to make it chain drive still.

      To be continued...

      ____________________________________

      John

       

      The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

       

       

    • February 18, 2018 2:56 PM EST
      • Pleasanton, CA
         
      • Posts
        304
      • Thanks
        150
      • Thanked
        94

      The lines on the cab are beautiful. Nice job John. I'm also very interested in that servo motor approach.

    • February 18, 2018 3:51 PM EST
      • Vail, Az
         
      • Posts
        3,838
      • Thanks
        379
      • Thanked
        386

      Jim Rowson said:

      The lines on the cab are beautiful. Nice job John. I'm also very interested in that servo motor approach.

      Thanks Jim, I free hand drew in those curves and filed the copper to the final curve, then I cut the other side to match.

       

      The Servo modification is very simple. I had 2 Futaba servos on the shelf from a 2 stick R/C job. Long screws from the bottom release the top cover and the gears. I found it easy to reassemble them after I dumped them out, if that's likely to be a challenge, take a picture or 2. I noticed a black stub that came through from the motor area. It would rotate aprox 90 degrees either way. I could see I needed the gear that it affected, and with the inner cover removed I could see how it was soldered to the board w/ 3 leads.  A separating disc cut out a square slightly bigger on the side of the box and I re-positioned the switch out side the box.

      Above you can see the 'Limiter', I unfolded it 180 degrees and kept it's wiring, using the clerk's advice to set it in the middle. The middle gives the polarity directional control, or you can turn the switch to set direction as that was it's purpose in the servo.

       

      I haven't tested it's muscle yet, but the motor has a solid feel when I spin the gears. I'm confident ... but I've always been a visionary.

      ____________________________________

      John

       

      The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

       

       

    • February 18, 2018 4:46 PM EST
      • Vail, Az
         
      • Posts
        3,838
      • Thanks
        379
      • Thanked
        386

      Thanks Tony.

      I'm still cheap enough to use what I have for an occasional novelty item.

      It's a good link for the  others.

      ____________________________________

      John

       

      The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

       

       

Forums Modeling Modeling

    Icon Legend

  • Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google